Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Where the Wild Things Are (1963)

by Maurice Sendak

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka (bethielouwho)
    There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both deal with fantasy and imagination and both are from the genius of Sendack
    Miranda's umbrella by Val Biro (bookel)
    Dear Mili by Wilhelm Grimm (Hibou8)
    The Wild Things by Dave Eggers (sweetandsyko)
    sweetandsyko: where the wild things are is such a good childrens picture book. I recommend the wild things for adults to read! certain copies even have furry covers like the monsters from the story!
    Where the Mild Things Are: A Very Meek Parody by Maurice Send-up (bookel)
    Goodnight Opus by Berkeley Breathed (wosret)

English (1,101)  Spanish (3)  Italian (1)  All (1)  German (1)  English (Middle) (1)  All (1)  French (1)  All (1,110)
This children's book is filled with adventure and a little boy named Max who gets sent to bed with out dinner, he is upset and is wanting attention from his family but is tantrum gets him sent to his room, where he begins to be filled with ideas and his imagination takes him away on a sail boat where he meets giant wild things (monsters) and he becomes their king. The story is filled with wonder and great illustrations of the jungle Max has created. ( )
  Jannette_M | Sep 21, 2017 |
Summary: Max is a young boy with a large imagination. When his mother sent him to his room without supper his imagination of being where the wild things are came to life. They welcomed him with open arms and made him king. He got to be mischievous with all his wild thing friends and be in control such as his mother was in control of him. He soon became lonely and wanted someone to love him so he went back home to his mother where she indeed gave him supper.

Personal Reaction: I love his form of imagination because children often find themselves pretending they are in a completely different world if a parents tells them no, they just make one of their own that they are the person in charge.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Everyone where costumes one day and be "wild things" together.
2. Draw the most wildest creature of all and have a contest.
  ShayleeJ | Sep 19, 2017 |
Summary:
This is a story about a boy named Max who is sent to bed without supper. He falls asleep and dreams about being King of the Wild Things in a far away land. He then sends the Wild Things off to bed without their suppers and begins to miss home. He can even smell all the good things to eat. So Max gives up being King and returns home to find his supper.

Personal Reaction:
I loved this book as a child and really enjoy the message it sends of there being no place like home. I can also relate to having a Wild Thing running about my house!

Classroom Extensions:
1.)I could have the children create their own story about their own dreamland.
2.) I could have the children draw out their own Wild Thing and how they would imagine it to look.
3.)I could have the children describe a time when they missed home. ( )
  TCollins90 | Sep 18, 2017 |
Max is a mischievous little boy with a vivid imagination who sails to an island where the Wild Things are and becomes their king. He enjoys the ruckus that ensues but soon misses his mother and decides to go home. This classic book with fantastic illustrations introduces children to the idea of circular narrative (when a story goes forward, then goes back the same way) - like when Max was sailing on the ship to the island and from the island. This book is great for independent reading at the second or third grade level. ( )
  ashgamber | Sep 17, 2017 |
Summary: This story is about a boy named Max, he is a very mischievous little boy that wears a wolf suit and a crown. He starts chasing his dog around the house with a fork and gets sent to his room by his mother and doesn't get any supper. He then begins a magical journey, in which his room transforms into a new world, with magical creatures and they are called the Wild Things, he is made king and is control of his own life, but soon he realizes that he is homesick and wants to go back home to eat his mother's supper.

Personal Reaction: I really love this book it reminded me of when I was little and had a big imagination, how I wanted to control my own lie when I was little and I just wanted to grow up too fast.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Make a Crown like max's out of felt.
2.Make cut out Monster feet for the kids to wear.
3. Make monsters on brown paper bags.
  Kynsi | Sep 17, 2017 |
The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind and another, his mother called him wild thing. And so he said, "I'll eat you UP!" And so he was sent to bed without eating anything.
...Max said, "BE STILL!" and tamed them with the magic trick of staring into all their yellow eyes without blinking once and they were frightened and called him the most wild thing of all and made him king of all wild things.
"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
This book uses the same ISBN as a Disney Counting book.

"Where the Wild Things Are" is about a boy named Max who is dressed in wolf suit. It is a story about Max and his imagination. After getting in trouble and sent to his room without dinner, Max falls asleep and dreams. He dreams about being the king of all the wild things, and even though the wild things are fond of him, it does not stop their desire to eat him. Max wants to go home, and when he wakes up from his imaginative dream he sees that his mother has, in fact, left him dinner. This story is a great tale to be read to children and will teach them the importance of self-acceptance and allowing their imagination to take off.

AR 3.4, Pts 0.5
הספר מספר את סיפורו של מקס, שערב אחד "עושה צרות ממין אחד וממין אחר" בחליפת הזאב שלו. כעונש, אימו שולחת אותו למיטתו מבלי לאכול ארוחת ערב. בחדרו, מקס מפליג בדמיון ל"ארץ יצורי הפרא", שם נתקל במפלצות גדולות ומפחידות, אולם מקס כובש אותם בעזרת מבט מפחיד אחד ובעקבות כך הוא מוכתר למלך המקום. למרות זאת, מקס מרגיש בודד ומתגעגע לביתו. הוא חוזר לחדרו, שם הוא מוצא את ארוחת הערב שלו מחכה לו "עדיין חמה.
Sent to bed hungry?
Let the wild rumpus begin!
Master of my world.

(QuestingforaQuest)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060254920, Hardcover)

Where the Wild Things Are is one of those truly rare books that can be enjoyed equally by a child and a grown-up. If you disagree, then it's been too long since you've attended a wild rumpus. Max dons his wolf suit in pursuit of some mischief and gets sent to bed without supper. Fortuitously, a forest grows in his room, allowing his wild rampage to continue unimpaired. Sendak's color illustrations (perhaps his finest) are beautiful, and each turn of the page brings the discovery of a new wonder.

The wild things--with their mismatched parts and giant eyes--manage somehow to be scary-looking without ever really being scary; at times they're downright hilarious. Sendak's defiantly run-on sentences--one of his trademarks--lend the perfect touch of stream of consciousness to the tale, which floats between the land of dreams and a child's imagination.

This Sendak classic is more fun than you've ever had in a wolf suit, and it manages to reaffirm the notion that there's no place like home.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:23 -0400)

A naughty little boy, sent to bed without his supper, sails to the land of the wild things where he becomes their king.

5 2037

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,947,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible