dismiss

Where the Wild Things Are (1963)

by Maurice Sendak

19,4681319133 (4.35)220
A naughty little boy, sent to bed without his supper, sails to the land of the wild things where he becomes their king.
    The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka (bethielouwho)
    There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer (Sandydog1)
    Sandydog1: Both deal with fantasy and imagination and both are from the genius of Sendack
    A Werewolf Named Oliver James by Nicholas John Frith (VaterOlsen)
    Miranda's umbrella by Val Biro (bookel)
    Dear Mili by Wilhelm Grimm (Hibou8)
    The Wild Things by Dave Eggers (sweetandsyko)
    sweetandsyko: where the wild things are is such a good childrens picture book. I recommend the wild things for adults to read! certain copies even have furry covers like the monsters from the story!
    Where the Mild Things Are: A Very Meek Parody by Maurice Send-up (bookel)
    Goodnight Opus by Berkeley Breathed (wosret)

English (1,308)  Spanish (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  English (Middle) (1)  German (1)  All languages (1,319)
Some children's books are a chore to read. Some are delightful, even to adults. This one is in the delightful category, the kind I enjoy reading aloud regardless of how many times the children want to hear it. ( )
  bread2u | Jul 1, 2020 |
I know, I know, it's absolute blasphemy that I'm only giving this 2 stars, but the honest truth is that I didn't like it much at all as a kid. I think it was the illustrations.
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
(I never went through my childhood bookshelf to add all my picture books to Goodreads. I have no idea when I read this, other than "a long time ago". Rating is based on my memory of it.) ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
I really enjoyed reading this book for three reasons. The first reason that I liked this book was because of the illustrations. Ever since I was a kid, I loved looking at the images in this book. It is very captivating how we watch Max’s room transform from a normal bedroom to a forest, and then an ocean and then finally to the island where the wild things are. It is also very interesting to see the artistic renditions of the wild things. The second reason that I liked this story was because of the plot. Max starts off the story by pretending to be a wild thing, and ends up getting a time out in his room for saying he wanted to eat his mom up. He uses his imagination to travel to the other wild things, a place where he feels he belongs. Even in his imagination though, the island where the wild things are is not enough for him, and he begins missing his home. The last reason that I liked this book was because of the characters. The wild things, first of all, are very unique and interesting to read about because they are very crazy characters. The mother though was my favorite character, because while we don’t see her, and she is the one who gives Max the time out, we see that she does bring him his supper to his room and was instilling a lesson. The main message of the story is about using your imagination in order to grow, just as Max was able to do.
  mvanem1 | May 7, 2020 |
Where the Wild Things Are was in my top 10 favorite books growing up. I think the best part is the pictures in this book. The pictures are very detailed, dark, and action-filled. They took up the entire page, so I got lost in the pictures. The language used wasn't anything spectacular, but it matched well with the pictures on the pages. I also love how this book is based on wild imagination (or dreams, perhaps) because it inspires creativity with kids. Creativity and imagination is imperative for a child. The message of the ending was that no matter how far you go, you'll always crave real and meaningful love and connections. The monsters were fun and he felt in charge being their king, but at the end of the day, he missed his parents and his home. The end said that when he woke up or stopped daydreaming, his supper was still hot, meaning that all of his imagination existed in only a short amount of time. This story is a great example of how it's great to have a wild and fun side, but there needs to be a balance in your life.
  anicho14 | Apr 27, 2020 |

Is contained in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind and another, his mother called him wild thing. And so he said, "I'll eat you UP!" And so he was sent to bed without eating anything.
...Max said, "BE STILL!" and tamed them with the magic trick of staring into all their yellow eyes without blinking once and they were frightened and called him the most wild thing of all and made him king of all wild things.
"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
This book uses the same ISBN as a Disney Counting book.

Plot Summary: Max, a bit of a troublemaker, is sent to bed by his mother without any dinner. Dressed in his wolf suite, Max falls asleep in his room where it then transforms into a forest where "wild things" live. This is where Max's adventure begins.

Extensions: positive/negative reinforcement, universal social problems, creativity
Sent to bed hungry?
Let the wild rumpus begin!
Master of my world.

(QuestingforaQuest)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,814,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible