Arthur (1989)

by Stephen R. Lawhead

Series: The Pendragon Cycle (3)

The legends of King Arthur come alive with a Christian world-view in these masterfully told adventures. These new editions contain new maps and other new material.

English (14)  French (1)  All languages (15)
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
migliori i primi due della saga, che nel complesso risulta però molto particolare e piacevole. ( )
  elerwen | May 29, 2019 |
The conclusion to this fantastic Arthurian legend. Arthur fights, becomes High King, brings peace, is wounded in a battle initiated by a traitor, is born away by Merlin to be healed, and then all the Fairfolk[Atlanteans] and Arthur disappear. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
As a novel, Arthur is lighthearted, light-handed, and light reading. I don't mean that the book itself is lacking in substance, but that the tremendous amount of research that has clearly gone into the novel appears effortless, to my great amazement. The presentation of God almost exclusively through Arthur's eyes gives the book's philosophy a balance that many modern novels lack. God is present, but he is internalized within a character and not used as a narratorial mallet with which to bludgeon the unfortunate reader.

Having recently begun re-reading The Once and Future King (my favourite Arthurian narrative when I was in college), I very much enjoy the soft touch applied to Merlin in Arthur. (I'll shortly be revisiting the rest of the series, as I can't currently recall how Merlin is treated in his own volume). Lawhead's Merlin is surprisingly human in his behaviour and psychology, and the idea that he has weaknesses does not come as a surprise. This is excellent not so much because of Merlin, but because it makes Arthur stronger by contrast; he is the figurative "golden child" (the novel is rife with golden and regal imagery). When Merlin is weak, Arthur is unrelentingly strong, and the failures of a great man make Arthur all but invincible in contrast.

In short, I think this book is entirely acceptable for readers twelve and up (I'd say ten but for the prologue, though I probably first read this at the age of ten and would have had no idea what much of it meant). However, anyone who wants to read Arthur should absolutely read Taliesin first, because it is wonderful in its own right and has fleshes out some of the brevity of Arthur.

(First posted: http://legereinterlitteras.blogspot.com/2014/06/lawhead-lore-re-reading-arthur.h...) ( )
  palaephata | Jun 21, 2015 |
Interesting adaptation of Arthurian legend. Guenever makes an appearance as a fierce pagan Irish warrior. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 17, 2014 |

Stephen R. Lawheadprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hildebrandt, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hildebrandt, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Posen, MikeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Para Alice, pues su trabajo y su amor igualaron a los míos.
Vortipor! Foremost in corruption, supreme in spite! A pig with its snout sunk in the entrails of its rival is not swifter than you to suck down iniquity. Your wickedness flows from your smoke-filled hall and inundates the land in a vile flood of wrongdoing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,491,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible