dismiss

Arthur (1989)

by Stephen R. Lawhead

Series: The Pendragon Cycle (3)

The legends of King Arthur come alive with a Christian world-view in these masterfully told adventures. These new editions contain new maps and other new material.

English (13)  French (1)  All languages (14)
migliori i primi due della saga, che nel complesso risulta però molto particolare e piacevole. ( )
  elerwen | May 29, 2019 |
The conclusion to this fantastic Arthurian legend. Arthur fights, becomes High King, brings peace, is wounded in a battle initiated by a traitor, is born away by Merlin to be healed, and then all the Fairfolk[Atlanteans] and Arthur disappear. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
As a novel, Arthur is lighthearted, light-handed, and light reading. I don't mean that the book itself is lacking in substance, but that the tremendous amount of research that has clearly gone into the novel appears effortless, to my great amazement. The presentation of God almost exclusively through Arthur's eyes gives the book's philosophy a balance that many modern novels lack. God is present, but he is internalized within a character and not used as a narratorial mallet with which to bludgeon the unfortunate reader.

Having recently begun re-reading The Once and Future King (my favourite Arthurian narrative when I was in college), I very much enjoy the soft touch applied to Merlin in Arthur. (I'll shortly be revisiting the rest of the series, as I can't currently recall how Merlin is treated in his own volume). Lawhead's Merlin is surprisingly human in his behaviour and psychology, and the idea that he has weaknesses does not come as a surprise. This is excellent not so much because of Merlin, but because it makes Arthur stronger by contrast; he is the figurative "golden child" (the novel is rife with golden and regal imagery). When Merlin is weak, Arthur is unrelentingly strong, and the failures of a great man make Arthur all but invincible in contrast.

In short, I think this book is entirely acceptable for readers twelve and up (I'd say ten but for the prologue, though I probably first read this at the age of ten and would have had no idea what much of it meant). However, anyone who wants to read Arthur should absolutely read Taliesin first, because it is wonderful in its own right and has fleshes out some of the brevity of Arthur.

(First posted: http://legereinterlitteras.blogspot.com/2014/06/lawhead-lore-re-reading-arthur.h...) ( )
  palaephata | Jun 21, 2015 |
Interesting adaptation of Arthurian legend. Guenever makes an appearance as a fierce pagan Irish warrior. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 17, 2014 |
Rating: 2* of five

The Publisher Says: In a forgotten age of darkness a magnificent king arose to light the world.

They called him unfit to rule—a lowborn, callow boy, Uther's bastard. But his coming had been foretold in the songs of the bard Taliesin. He had learned the uses of power from his guide and protector, Merlin. He was Arthur, Pendragon of the Island of the Mighty—who would rise to legendary greatness in a Britain torn by violence, greed and war; the Lord of Summer who would usher in a glorious reign of peace and prosperity . . . and whose noble, trusting heart would be broken by treachery.

My Review: Battle, battle, battle; foreshadowed Religious Event; battle, battle; Merlin and Morgian (variant spelling in the source document, even though I hated it I'm using it) sparring; oh hell, nothing much new.

BORING!

B...O...R...I...N...G!!!

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. ( )
1 vote richardderus | Aug 15, 2014 |

Stephen R. Lawheadprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hildebrandt, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hildebrandt, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Posen, MikeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Para Alice, pues su trabajo y su amor igualaron a los míos.
Vortipor! Foremost in corruption, supreme in spite! A pig with its snout sunk in the entrails of its rival is not swifter than you to suck down iniquity. Your wickedness flows from your smoke-filled hall and inundates the land in a vile flood of wrongdoing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,972,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible