Taliesin (1987)

by Stephen R. Lawhead

Series: The Pendragon Cycle (1)

A magnificent epic of cataclysmic upheaval and heroic love in a breathless age of mythic wonders It was a time of legend, when the last shadows of the mighty Roman conqueror faded from the captured Isle of Britain. While, across a vast sea, bloody war shattered a peace that had flourished for two thousand years in the doomed kingdom of Atlantis. From the award-winning author of THE DRAGON KING TRILOGY comes a majestic tale of breathtaking scope and haunting beauty. It is the remarkable adventure of Charis--the courageous princess from Atlantis who escapes the terrible devastation of her land--and of the fabled seer and druid prince Taliesin, singer at the dawn of the age. A story of an incomparable love that joins two astonishing worlds amid the fires of chaos, and spawns the miracles of Merlin . . . and Arthur the king! TALIESIN "Reminiscent of C. S. Lewis . . . Highly recommended." --Library Journal… (more)

English (33)  French (1)  All languages (34)
I know I read it, but I remember nothing about it. ( )
  Kim.Sasso | Aug 27, 2023 |
There is no doubting that this book is beautifully written. The beginning to an epic series, it starts slowly and gradually gains your attention so that by the end you are fully immersed into a wonderful, ancient world of violence, magic and adventure. The descriptions of events such as the destruction of Atlantis are conceived and described on a level far higher than most authors could achieve. I will definitely read the next in the series even though the books are far longer than I originally thought. If it were not for the slow beginning, I think I would have rated this a five, but it was hard work in the early stages and I almost gave up at one point because I had other books I wanted to read. So glad I didn't. ( )
  MJWebb | Sep 22, 2022 |
This is a delightful and original take on the Arthurian legend, Atlantean legend and Romano-Celtic culture. ( )
  FaithBurnside | Aug 17, 2022 |
I read this years ago--probably before I had an online shelf to record it in--I basically stopped reading this author after realizing I really didn't care for his style of writing. I remember one friend saying she kept it only because of her interest in fiction dealing with Arthur/Merlin and not because she really liked the book. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Oct 30, 2021 |
This is Book # 1 in Stephen R. Lawhead's first series The Pendragon Cycle, yes another re-telling of Arthur and The Merlin. However, this was one has grabbed me. I have also got The Mists of Avalon going(since early December)-the difference, I put that one down and it's hit or miss when I will pick it up again-it's not bad, it just does not pull me in as I want a book to do.

A lot of bru-ah-ah in the reviews on this that Lawhead took too many liberties with time frames(Atlantis was well gone in Plato's mind before Arthur was a glimmering in anyone's eye)-Come on people-just because someone's shelf has it as Historical Fiction, doesn't make it so-it's Fantasy, let it go!

The book begins telling 2 distinct stories-that of life on Atlantis and that in Britain. Our female Protagonist Charis, Atlantean princess, the male side from Taliesin, seer and druid Prince. The third section recounts their coming together after the destruction of Atlantis and then birth of their son Merlin.

This author was recommended to me during my search for older fantasy, and I am glad I was able to find the entire series at "Buck-a-bag" book sale! I am anticipating continuing on with the adventure-and I picked up another by this author Hood that I am looking forward too.

Recommended for Epic Fantasy lovers ( )
  JBroda | Sep 24, 2021 |

Stephen R. Lawheadprimary authorall editionscalculated
Peterssen, FriederTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Posen, MikeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Brad and Nancy
I will weep no more for the lost, asleep in their water graves.
Celtic indicia taken from The Celtic Design Book by Rebecca McKilip w permission

At some point this was combined with an omnibus of the first three books in the series. If your omnibus appears here please separate it if you can, or post in the "Combiners" group.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,044,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible