High Lonesome (1962)

by Louis L'Amour

Fiction. Western. Thriller. Historical Fiction. Considine and Pete Runyon had once been friends, back in the days when both were cowhands. But when Runyon married the woman Considine loved, the two parted ways. Runyon settled down and became a sheriff. Considine took up robbing banks. Now Considine is planning a raid on the bank at Obaro, a plan that will pit him against Runyon . . . and lead to riches or suicide. The one thing he never counted on was meeting a strong, beautiful woman and her stubborn father, hell-bent on traveling alone through Apache territory to a new life. Suddenly Considine must choose between revenge and redemptionâ??and either choice could be the last one he mak… (more)

Another time, another place. A straightforward story of danger, death, and redemption, with maybe the chance of love in the end. ( )
  TheGalaxyGirl | Mar 25, 2024 |
Western
  BooksInMirror | Feb 19, 2024 |
Considine has led a life as an outlaw but has little to show for it. With some fellow outlaws, he plans to rob a bank in the town where a former friend is the law as well as married to the woman he had loved. While he distracts his friend, the rest of the party rob the bank.

During their ride to the Mexican border, they notice a party of Apaches are tracking an elderly man and his daughter. Even though they know a posse is following them, they decide to tackle the Apaches and save the man and his daughter.

Constant action as is typical of a L'Amour novel. ( )
  lamour | Oct 30, 2023 |
A young man has crossed the line into the outlaw life but when he meets a special young lady his worldview shifts. Is it too late?

I like how L'Amour takes the standard Western plot and adds something more to make it better. I've not yet decided if this one goes to the used book store or stays on my shelves for a reread.

Note: this is a novel length retelling of the short story In Victorio's Country. ( )
  fuzzi | Oct 16, 2023 |
“I think of myself in the oral tradition--as a troubadour, a village taleteller, the man in the shadows of the campfire. That’s the way I’d like to be remembered--as a storyteller. A good storyteller.” -Louis L’Amour
Well, Mr. L’Amour, that’s how I remember you. Every time I’ve picked up one of your books, I knew I was gonna get a good story--another time, another place to give me a break from my own little world. I wasn’t let down with this one, either. Some reviewers see this novel as a bit of a mediocre offering from you, and it may be, but I figure that a mediocre book by Louis L’Amour is better than most everyone else’s. We ride on.
1 vote MickeyMole | Oct 2, 2023 |

L'Amour, Louisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Liersch, Rolf W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To Three who told me of the West when it was wild - Jeff Milton, George Coe, Tom Pickett
After the moon lowered itself behind the serrated ridge of the Gunsight Hills, tow riders walked their horses from the breaks along the river.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,122,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible