Camilla by Fanny Burney

Camilla (1796)

by Fanny Burney

475232,894 (3.93)1 / 71

The story follows two sisters, Eugenia and Camilla, and their cousin, Indiana, in the months preceding their marriages. I have been meaning to read this book for a long time, I wanted to read some of the books that influced my favorite writers such as Charlotte Bronte and Jane Austen. Fanny Burney's name is always mentioned so I picked up Camilla at a used bookstore and decided to give it a try. It is a very long book and at times can be so frustrating because you just want the characters to get on with it and be over. The misunderstandings, are endless and Burney has an excellent ability to allow her readers to feel all of the emotions of her characters. There were points of the books where I was laughing out loud and other points where I was crying my eyes out. I have to say that I haven't read a book like this in a long time that had the ability to totally affect my emotions and make me think about it long after it was finished. I can truly understand why so many authors have been influenced by Fanny Burney her writing is witty, funny, light and dark and I look forward to adding her other two books in my large to be read pile. ( )
  Renz0808 | Oct 29, 2010 |
I really enjoyed this book even though it is really long and didn't really need to be, but the other got her point across. I laughed and snorted so much when I read this book. I can truly say that it was a early soap opera. I love the characters and how they all fit together. If you like early English novels, then you will like this one. ( )
1 vote DeeDee10 | Oct 10, 2010 |

Fanny Burneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bloom, Edward A.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bloom, Lillian D.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the Queen
The historian of human life finds less of difficulty and of intricacy to develop, in its accidents and adventures, than the investigator of the human heart in its feelings and its changes.
On 17 July 1786 Fanny Burney became second keeper of the robes to Queen Charlotte. (Introduction)

First published in 1796, this book deals with the matrimonial concerns of a group of young people - Camilla Tyrold and her sisters, the daughters of a country parson, and their cousin Indiana Lynmere - and, in particular, with the love affair between Camilla herself and her eligible suitor, Edgar Mandlebert.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,702,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible