Knight's Castle by Edward Eager

Knight's Castle (1956)

by Edward Eager

Series: Magic Books Reading Order (3)

The Magic City by E. Nesbit (HollyMS)
    HollyMS: Both works are stories that feature children visiting the lands of toys.
    The Castle in the Attic by Elizabeth Winthrop (Anonymous user)
    Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Another tale for children about miniature people.
    Do It Yourself Magic by Ruth Chew (HollyMS)

Ann and Roger must stay with their cousins in Baltimore for the summer while their father is in the hospital. They, along with their cousins Eliza and Jack, discover that the toy castle in Roger's bedroom not only appears to be a portal to another place and time, but that in that place, the children have substantial influence and responsibility. They find it's not easy to be heroes, but that with pluck and perserverance, they can change circumstances and situations for the better. We enjoyed reading this book as a family. While clearly set in an earlier time, it was not dated. The themes of responsibility and sibling love and rivalry were fresh and realistic. ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |
My third grade teacher read this to our class. She always read to us immediately after recess. In retrospect it seems like an effective strategy for letting a bunch of 11 year olds calm down without placing unrealistic expectations on our abilities to be attentive to the building blocks of education. I had a vivid memory of how much I enjoyed the story and her reading it to me but little memory of the details of the plot or even the title of the book. I also do not remember if I had actually read Ivanhoe at that point or not. Even then I was a voracious reader and loved tales of knights. In any case Ivanhoe either already was or was to become one of my childhood favorites as well. It was not until 50 years later that I discovered this was the book of my memory. ( )
  pitjrw | Nov 16, 2016 |
One day a boy named Roger and his sister Ann came home to find there parent in the living room with the doors locked. They wonderd what it was about, when they finally did come out they told them that there Dad had something messed up inside of him so they had to go to the special doctor in Maryland. The tickets were too expensive for the kids to go so they had to stay with there Aunt Katherine and there cousins, Eliza and Jack. They stayed there for three nights and each night they shrunk to the size of Rogers lead soliers and the lead soldiers came to life and turned into people from the world of chilvery. The kids helped each other through riddles, tough situations, and big decisions. I am very fond of this book because I love that at first Roger and Ann didn't really like Eliza and Jack, but now that they know them better they became close and when it was time for them to leave they were very sad, so they planed to see their cousins soon and have more magical adventures. ( )
  MadelynM14 | Feb 17, 2016 |
A mid 20th century children's classic. I read this because it was there. At the time I was making my way through The English Patient; oh wait I am still making my way through The English Patient!
Anyhow, any book that fell in my path that was not The English Patient had a good chance of being read. This one my son had left in my room. So I read it because it wasn't The English Patient!

Really a delightful and whimsical story. I appreciated the nod to the greatest of children's fantasy writers, E. Nesbit. Yes, I said E. Nesbit, not Rowling or Lewis or L'Engle or.... The idea of Ivanhoe debauched by pulp science fiction was a hoot.

That said, this is definitely a children's book and needs to be read as such. Unlike some children's fiction that can be read and appreciated by adults as something more, here I am thinking of Randall Jarrell's [b:The Animal Family|48132|My Family and Other Animals|Gerald Durrell|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170350325s/48132.jpg|76682], Knight's Castle is 100% for kid's, and I like that about it. ( )
1 vote lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |

For my son
FRITZ,
friend of knights
and castles
It happened just the other day, to a boy named Roger.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 015202073X, Paperback)

Roger, Anne, Eliza, and Jack find a magic way to go back into the time of Robin Hood, Rebecca, and Ivanhoe.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:17 -0400)

Four cousins, Roger, Ann, Eliza, and Jack, have an extraordinary summer when, after an old toy soldier comes to life, they find themselves transported back to the days of Robin Hood and Ivanhoe.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,687,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible