The Mind's Eye by Håkan Nesser

The Mind's Eye (1993)

by Håkan Nesser

Series: Inspector Van Veeteren (1)

English (28)  Dutch (5)  Italian (1)  English (34)
Detective. Audible. Scandanavian. Not a straightforward path. A bit of back and forth before the path to the killer begins to emerge. Liked it. Pleasant. ( )
  idiotgirl | Dec 25, 2015 |
This is the first in the Van Vleeteren series. If I had started here I am not sure that I would be continuing with the series. The set up for this book is very good and I was hooked quickly; but once Van Vleeteren enters (in chapter four) things begin to go a bit downhill. It is difficult to follow what is essentially a police procedural when the lead investigator spends so much time thinking and not telling either his colleagues or us as readers either what he is thinking or what he is talking about. So we get a denouement without really understanding how he/we got there. I have two more books in the series to hand; whether I continue beyond them remains to be seen. ( )
  johnwbeha | Dec 10, 2015 |
Excellent Nordic mystery. I thought that it being set in an unnamed country would drive me crazy-not so. I'm going to read the rest in the series... ( )
  erica471 | Jan 5, 2014 |
This Swedish mystery starts well. The victim is dead in a locked bathroom as her husband wakes up with a hangover and no memory of the previous evening. He is the obvious suspect. But the body of the book was too police procedural for my taste. Also, I didn't feel a very strong sense of place. I'll try another by this author since he is highly praised by others before I give up. ( )
  gbelik | Nov 15, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this book. Great style and even though I had figured out who did it pretty early on - I couldn't figure out how it all went together or if my guess was right because the author kept throwing curveballs out to throw me off the scent. Quite enjoyable - will definately try another in the series. ( )
  stuart10er | Sep 27, 2013 |

Håkan Nesserprimary authorall editionscalculated
Luijten, ClementineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When we finally find what we have been looking for in the darkness, we nearly always discover that it was exactly that.
Darkness.

— C.G. Reinhart, police officer
He woke up and was unable to remember his name.

International Bestseller

Håkan Nesser is firmly established as one of the world's bestselling crime novelists. And now the novel that introduced Chief Inspector Van Veeteren is available for the first time in English.

The swift conviction left Van Veeteren uneasy: Janek Mitter woke one morning with a brutal hangover and his wife dead in the bathtub. With only the flimsiest defense, he is found guilty and imprisoned in a mental institution. But when Mitter is murdered in his bed, Van Veeteren regrets not following his gut and launches an investigation into the two murders. As the chief inspector delves deeper, the twisted root of these violent murders will shock even him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:48 -0400)

When Janek Mitter wakes up from a night of too much alcohol and sex, he must break into the locked bathroom, where he finds his wife dead in the bathtub. Suffering from amnesia as a result of his drinking, he falls into a lethargic state that lasts throughout his murder trial, conviction, and imprisonment in a mental hospital. Detective Chief Inspector Van Veeteren launches a new investigation when Mitter is murdered.… (more)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,664,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible