The Tuscan Year: Life and Food in an Italian…

The Tuscan Year: Life and Food in an Italian Valley

by Elizabeth Romer

Romanticized view of rural life in Tuscany. The writers constant exuberance was wearing. ( )
  turtlesleap | Sep 6, 2017 |
Memoir / cookbook written by a woman who was renting a house on a Tuscan farm. The author essentially spies on the lives of the poor farmers from whom she rents, glorifying their lives, particularly that of the farmer's wife. This women, Sylvana, lives a terrible life of slavery. Up before the dawn every day, she works literally every waking moment, always cooking, foraging for foodstuffs, preserving, making cheese, cleaning, mending, etc., etc., etc. Although Romer attempts to glorify the lives of these farmers, the book ends up being a study in why small-farm life is going by the wayside. I would not want to live Sylvana's life, nor would I wish it on my children.

On the up-side, I did pick up some simple but fabulous cooking tips and recipes, always welcome. ( )
  OneMorePage | Jul 15, 2010 |
A delightful book that describes the events, celebrations and the food eaten by a traditional Umbrian farmer's family month by month for a whole year. The farmer in question lives in the Val Minima, which is the next valley to the one I live in near Cortona, so the book has a personal resonance for me and I've tried out many of the simple recipes with complete success. ( )
  dick_pountain | Nov 13, 2006 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0865473870, Paperback)

Month by month, Elizabeth Romer details a year in a Tuscan kitchen. Noting farm recipes calling for olive oil measured in wine glasses, Romer recounts the way of life folks in Tuscany have enjoyed for centuries. In winter they spin wool and cure quantities of prosciutto. In springtime the pecorino cheese is made, while in summer the farm is ripe with corn, pears, and sweet peas. Then, of course, comes autumn, the time for wine, the time of the harvest. The rhythm of life naturally follows the foods of the seasons. You shouldn't read it without some good food nearby.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:50 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,903,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible