From Caterpillar to Butterfly by Deborah…

From Caterpillar to Butterfly (1996)

by Deborah Heiligman

Other authors: Bari Weissman (Illustrator)

Series: Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science

This book is about the process of a caterpillar changing into a butterfly. The book tells the story from a students perspective of the process. It was a fun book that I feel would go well with science units. ( )
  mparks15 | Aug 31, 2018 |
Ages: 3-5
Source: classroom library ( )
  heatherhoover | May 31, 2018 |
Summary- The illustrations in this book are very bright and beautiful. It is an informative book about the different stages of the life cycle of a butterfly. This is a wonderful children's book which contains several content vocabulary words. There is a lot that you could teach and do with this book.

Personal Reaction- I think this book is wonderful for teaching about the life cycle of the butterfly. The colorful pictures are also easier so that the child can understand what is going on. I always thought butterflies were so beautiful and interesting insects. I think that learning about the life cycle of different insects and animals is very important for children.

Classroom Extensions- I think it would be very interesting to see the students reaction if the class could have a caterpillar as a class pet and watch it transform into a beautiful butterfly.
The class will paint the different stages of the life cycle. ( )
  Kateburke23 | Dec 3, 2017 |
Summary:
This is an informational book about the life cycle of a butterfly. This book starts with the beginning stages of the butterfly as an egg, then to a caterpillar, and finally the butterfly stage. It is an easy read that provides great information and beautiful illustrations.
Personal Reaction:
The life cycle of a butterfly has always been fascinating too me. It has been to my oldest daughter as well. When she was 2 she would chase butterflies in the backyard and could already say chrysalis. The butterfly life cycle is also my favorite lesson I have been a part of while working in the school system.
Classroom Extension:
1. Before reading this book I would order caterpillars so that the classroom could observe the life cycle of the butterfly. We would discuss what we think will happen.
2. After reading this book we will journal daily about our butterflies. We will talk about how different the cycle is than we thought it would be. ( )
  Charessa | Jul 22, 2017 |
This book is about the life cycle of the butterfly and its time for each stage.
Ages - (4-7)
Source - Pierce County Library System. ( )
  thuyN | Jun 6, 2017 |

Deborah Heiligmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Weissman, BariIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

A caterpillar comes to school in a jar. The class watches the caterpillar each day as it grows and changes. Soon, it disappears into a hard shell called a chrysalis. Then the chrysalis breaks, and a beautiful butterfly flies out of the jar! This is a perfect beginner's guide to the mystery of metamorphosis.

Outstanding Science Trade Books for Children 1997 (NSTA/CBC)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:00 -0400)

While watching a caterpillar brought to school in a glass jar slowly change into a beautiful butterfly, the class and the reader learn the basics about the mystery of metamorphosis.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,566,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible