The View from Saturday (1996)

by E. L. Konigsburg

Series: Clarion County (0.5)

Four students, with their own individual stories, develop a special bond and attract the attention of their teacher, a paraplegic, who chooses them to represent their sixth-grade class in the Academic Bowl competition.

English (117)  Spanish (1)  All languages (118)
I won't give this book any stars - it just didn't click with me and I ended up bailing early. It wouldn't be fair to give it an actual rating. The one thing that put me off as a reader is the way the author tried soooo hard to be soooo clever. Unfortunately, it didn't work (at least, not for me). None of the characters had enough verisimilitude for me to believe that they were anything but constructs made by the author to showcase her clever writing.
  CrimsonWurm | Apr 11, 2021 |
I liked each individual character's background story and how they were carefully interwoven together, but I felt like the story as a whole was very contrived. A lot of the language and dialogue seemed too perfectly put together and this book really wasn't written that long ago that it should be that way.

On an educational note (here comes the teacher point of view in me), this book had a lot of really great messages for kids of several different age groups and I could see teaching this book to middle school students about journeys, changing, collaboration, and the overall theme of personal development.

Overall I give this book 3 stars because it took me a lot longer to read than a 160 page book should, but it had a lot of great messages for those of younger ages who might read this. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
I realized very quickly that this one just wouldn't work for me. I didn't actually care about the story line or narrative style, and a few lukewarm reviews convinced to move on.
  JustZelma | Dec 20, 2020 |
Mrs. Olinski couldn't tell you how she picked the team for the scholastic tournament, but clearly it was meant to be. Noah, Nadia, Ethan and Julian were four disparate individuals but they became both friends and teammates.

The contests the team goes through is interspersed with the back stories of each sixth grader, starting with Noah and his unexpected appearance as best man of the wedding of Nadia's grandfather and Ethan's grandmother. Julian is sort of the odd one out, in contrast, a newcomer to the small town in the Finger Lakes region of New York who had grown up on a cruise ship with his American mother and Indian-English father. But he's also the one who brings them together as the Souls. In a story that generally celebrated kindness, there were a few jarring instances - for example, someone starts pushing a wheelchair without asking the person in it first - but overall it was an entertaining read that I enjoyed more than I expected. ( )
  bell7 | Nov 28, 2020 |
This is for David for beating the odds
Mrs. Eva Marie Olinski always gave good answers.
"Are you an alien?" I asked.
"Actually, no," he said. "Mother was an American by birth; Father is by naturalization. I was born on the high seas. That makes me American."
"As American as apple pie," I said.
Julian smiled. "Not quite," he said. "Let us say that I am as American as pizza pie. I did not originate here, but I am here to stay."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,423,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible