The View from Saturday by E. L. Konigsburg

The View from Saturday (1996)

by E. L. Konigsburg

4,2041051,659 (3.92)107

English (102)  Spanish (1)  All languages (103)
How does a teacher build the best Academic Bowl team in the history of ever? Mrs. Olinski has many answers to this question, but which answer is the right one? Each of the students on the team has unique skills and knowledge that adds to their overall success. In addition, they have something else in common, something that makes them remarkable.
The unique organization of this story adds to the suspense, and also enhances the character development. The first four or five chapters start with a teaser about the Academic Bowl, then shift to a short story about each individual on the Bowl team. Once the whole team is introduced, the chapters are shorter, but still start with the ongoing bit by bit feed about the Bowl. ( )
  nittnut | Sep 5, 2018 |
This took me a little while to get used to. It confused me more than anything but then like Mrs. Olinski I finally understood all the strange things they were saying. The end lesson was really great and I wish that more people would have a journey with that end result. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
I won't give this book any stars - it just didn't click with me and I ended up bailing early. It wouldn't be fair to give it an actual rating. The one thing that put me off as a reader is the way the author tried soooo hard to be soooo clever. Unfortunately, it didn't work (at least, not for me). None of the characters had enough verisimilitude for me to believe that they were anything but constructs made by the author to showcase her clever writing.
  alanhaley | Apr 16, 2018 |
What a lovely book. Not sentimental, overwrought, or oversimplified, like much of middle grade children's literature. E. L. Konigsburg's writing is sharp and the story is told with the care and cleverness it deserves. I appreciated her treatment of the unique group of pre-pubescent characters through deft perspective shifts and each with his or her own story of personal growth. What I liked most is that she doesn't assume her audience is incapable of rising to the complexity of the narrative and relationships. This isn't dumbed down for children, but instead perhaps, simplified for adults. ( )
1 vote saresmoore | Mar 20, 2018 |
This book would be perfect for 6th graders, in the context of book clubs or literacy circles. It's all about 6th graders. ( )
1 vote kwait | Feb 8, 2018 |
This is for David for beating the odds
Mrs. Eva Marie Olinski always gave good answers.

Four students, with their own individual stories, develop a special bond and attract the attention of their teacher, a paraplegic, who chooses them to represent their sixth-grade class in the Academic Bowl competition.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689817215, Paperback)

A powerhouse sixth-grade Academic Bowl team from Epiphany Middle School; the art of calligraphy; the retirees of Century Village, Florida; a genius dog named Ginger; and a holiday production of "Annie" all figure heavily in the latest book by E. L. Konigsburg, who has produced a Newbery Medal-winning children's tale to rival her classic From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, which won the Newbery Medal almost 30 years ago. The new book centers around a group of four brilliant, shy 12-year-olds and the tea party they have each Saturday morning. Konigsburg's wacky erudition and her knack for offbeat characters make this a funny and endearing story of friendship.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:27 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,954,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible