Fever Pitch (1992)

by Nick Hornby

A famous account of growing up to be a fanatical football supporter. Told through a series of match reports, FEVER PITCH has enjoyed enormous critical and commercial success since it was first published in 1992. It has helped to create a new kind ofsports writing, and established Hornby as one of the finest writers of his generation.… (more)

English (49)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (54)
A kind of retrospective by writer Nick Hornby, who life is guided by how his soccer team (Arsenal) is doing. For a true fan of the English premier league, this book would trigger memories of players and games, of stunning victories and losses. While reading much of the book was a chore, the last 35 pages were quite excellent. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Extremely charming, although I wish it had a bit more explanation of the basics for an ugly American like me. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |
I am just about the furthest personality type away from the sports fan Hornby is, and depicts in this book. I actively tune out from sports on TV, in a live setting, and any other iteration. I admit to not reading the blurb about the book before I started, just diving straight in because I like Hornby, and thought it would be similar to High Fidelity. I have just glanced at the IMDB to see if I watched the film based on the book, but I hadn't. Probably because: sports.
That said, it was interesting to see how the relationship between a man and his sport of choice has impacted his life and relationships with people. My husband is a big sports fan, and I am slightly amused by this: so is my youngest son, who knows a startling amount of stats despite never getting to watch any fixtures as most of them play while he is in bed. I have no idea where he gets all his data from, but am told it is fairly accurate. Husband is a chronic remote hog, and perpetual channel flicker. This means I have to endure 30-second bursts of multiple matches of an evening, while he tries to watch two different matches concurrently. Thankfully TV hasn't interested me in so long, that I am fairly adept at picking up one of my other activities and zoning so far out, that it washes over me. Anyway this is a review of a book, about sports, that I read, while tuning out said sport, while it was being watched on TV, and it is fair to say that I had much more interest in the book than the sport it was based upon. Partly due to the intelligence of the writer, who is able to detach himself from his fandom enough to provide a reasonable self-analysis, and partly because it is set inside a life which encompassed (although not as whole heartedly) other interests.
  Vividrogers | Dec 20, 2020 |
Nonostante il calcio che imperversa. Grazie a Stefano che mi ha fatto conoscere Nick Hornby partendo proprio dal libro che in potenza mi sarebbe dovuto piacere meno. ( )
  Eva_Filoramo | May 3, 2018 |
A life chronicled in football matches
  stevholt | Nov 19, 2017 |

Nick Hornbyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pedrotti, FedericaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Willis, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A mia madre, e a mio padre
Mi innamorai del calcio come mi sarei poi innamorato delle donne: improvvisamente, inesplicabilmente, acriticamente, senza pensare al dolore o allo sconvolgimento che avrebbe portato con sé.
I tend to overestimate the metaphorical value of football, and therefore introduce it into conversations where it simply does not belong.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140293442, 0141045493, 0241950198, 0141391812

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,090,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible