Just One of the Guys by Kristan Higgins

Just One of the Guys

by Kristan Higgins

391None27,334 (3.84)23

Loved it. In some of Higgans' other books, the inner dialogue has been a little bit too much; that wasn't the case here. I loved Chastity, and loved listening to her voice.

I also really loved the Chastity/Trevor interaction. I didn't mind the fact that the resolution wasn't until the very end because I felt like there was enough happening between them to both sustain me and lay the foundation. (The building out of the new bathroom brought tears to my eyes.) And given the history of their relationship it seemed entirely justified that there wouldn't have been more interaction than what there was.

The family dynamic was wonderful, too, and the interactions between Chastity and her brothers, with the sisters-in-law, with her parents, her co-workers... Um, o.k., yes, with everyone. I just loved them. They were also pretty funny. Not only were there several laugh-out-loud moments, there was one scene that was hysterical, enough so that I found myself having a laughing fit at 1 a.m. in my bed, trying desperately not to wake up the whole house.

The one downside was a phrase that got used way too many times. But, honestly, that's such a little thing that it didn't detract from my overall enjoyment. Definitely 5-stars for me, and this one goes in the keeper, will-definitely-be-reading-again pile. ( )
  jendoyle2000 | Feb 28, 2014 |
Oh for the love of.... Okay, Chastity's pretty cool. She's tall, she's athletic, she holds her ground (adorably) against her four older brothers and their dumb friends. I empathize with her situation with Trevor; I get why she thinks they can't be together even though she wants to be. But having to wait until the very very end before anything happens between her and Trevor? Oof! Painful. Just painful, and a little unsatisfying because it felt so abrupt. But, like all of Kristan Higgins' books, I couldn't put JUST ONE OF THE GUYS DOWN. Higgins has a natural way of developing characters and their relationships with one another that just flows right off the page and into your life. Chastity stands out from other Higgins females because of her athleticism, but the rest of the book is pure, good, enjoyable Higgins. ( )
  stephxsu | Feb 17, 2014 |

Kristan Higgins has a gift. For some writers, it's the gift of lyrical prose that makes your heart ache as you drown in it. For others, it's the gift of description. With just a few words, they paint you a picture. For some, it's the ability to lay out intricate plots like no one else(I'm looking at you, GRR) and for others, it's the gift of comedy.

Kristan Higgins has a gift alright. It's the gift of making her characters downtrodden and so pitiful that even people with hearts of stone will bawl with them. There was pathetic Faith deserted by her gay fiance. There was even more pathetic Callie Grey, desperate to get the man that she was in love with to notice her. And then there was the Queen of pitiful - Grace Emerson. And she's done it again with 'Just One of the Guys'. There are no other strengths to this book - the story tells you that it's ok to let guys run roughshod over you, it's ok, it's alright. Let them treat you like crap. - the characters lack lustre. But even I have to admit that I loved her mother. She was awesome. Kick ass.

That's why this has two stars. Cos I was ready to both bawl and karate chop Chastity after that scene between Trev and her at his apartment. ( )
  ashpapoye | Jan 24, 2014 |
3.5 stars (wish goodreads would fix that already)

All in all, I enjoyed this book. I read a lot of reviews that talked about their personal distaste for the author's choice of writing in first person/present, but I wasn't bothered by it at all. There are some stories that need to be told like that, and I think that the MC's voice probably would have been compromised had she not written it this way.

Now, on the topic of the MC's voice - I loved it. I laughed out loud, snickered, snorted, and guffawed several times through the book. It was totally my sense of humor, and that's refreshing to get in a book.

A few things stood out for me on the negative: first, it felt like it dragged on unnecessarily. There were whole sections of this book we could have deleted completely and not lost anything. Second, the addition of the "stalker" was an unneeded, unnecessary, and--when it was all "resolved"--laughable conflict to stick into this story. It was drama for the sake of drama, and my patience runs thin with that crap. I also felt several times in this book an eerie similarity to Love Walked In: Girl comes from big family, lives in a smallish town, boy who's not really family but is treated like it is the love interest, "brotherly" type issues, both involved with other people, hell, even the guy's names both started with T. Small things, but put together, they equal a whole lot of what the crap?

In the end, I laughed, I teared up, I enjoyed it overall. I do wish we had more resolution with Trevor and Chas, because after 365 pages, I was hoping for a little more than 10 tying it all up to give us our HEA. ( )
  CreativeJunkie | Sep 23, 2013 |
I really liked this one. It was a fun, fast read. I'll definitely be looking for more from Higgins in the future. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373772998, Mass Market Paperback)

Being one of the guys isn't all it's cracked up to be…

So when journalist Chastity O'Neill returns to her hometown, she decides it's time to start working on some of those feminine wiles. Two tiny problems: #1—she's five feet eleven inches of rock-solid girl power, and #2—she's cursed with four alpha male older brothers.

While doing a story on local heroes, she meets a hunky doctor and things start to look up. Now there's only one problem: Trevor Meade, her first love and the one man she's never quite gotten over—although he seems to have gotten over her just fine.

Yet the more time she spends with Dr. Perfect, the better Trevor looks. But even with the in-your-face competition, the irresistible Trevor just can't seem to see Chastity as anything more than just one of the guys.…

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:30 -0400)

Though cursed with four alpha male brothers and standing five feet eleven inches, journalist Chastity O'Neill decides to brush up on her feminine wiles when she returns to her hometown. Though she meets Dr. Perfect when doing a story on local heroes, Chastity can't quite get over her first love, Trevor Meade. The problem is that Trevor can't seem to see Chastity as anything more than just one of the guys...… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,429,510 books! | Top bar: Always visible