Payback: Debt and the Shadow Side of Wealth (2007)

by Margaret Atwood

Collected here, the Massey Lectures from legendary novelist Margaret Atwood investigate the highly topical subject of debt, exploring debt as an ancient and central motif in religion, literature, and the structure of human societies.

Payback is an intellectual exercise in examining the concept of debt, not only financial but moral and otherwise. While I found many of the ideas interesting and agree with the general premise, the book as a whole fell flat for me. It was a bit rambling, and I found nothing in it to be particularly revelatory. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Dec 30, 2020 |
Charming and thought-provoking. Agree with AltheaAnn that the last chapter took away from that a bit. ( )
  libraryhead | Dec 19, 2019 |
I found this a very interesting view on Debt (financial and other) and man's attitude to it through the ages. Atwood explores it in the context of ancient civilizations and justice and then moves more into the modern era and considers the good and bad sides of debt. I was intrigued by the view that the requirement for money and capital flow that arose with the industrial revolution and capitalism changed our attitudes to debt radically. She also comes to the conclusion that money (rather than love) is often the driving force for change and narrative development in the great novels (Little Dorrit and Vanity Fair are the examples that spring to mind).
The last chapter with her updating Scrooge to see a global view of man's debt to the world felt a bit preachy but was though provoking.

Maybe because it's based on lectures, I did find that the whole book rambled slightly but as I've indicated contains many interesting pieces of information and different views on debt. ( )
  jbennett | May 18, 2016 |
terrific ( )
  ChrisNewton | Mar 18, 2016 |
Look! I read a non-fiction book!
Yes, I usually read fiction books, and non-fiction in magazine or journal articles. Ironically, this non-fiction book (which I liked very much) reminded me why. Most non-fiction is just not written in a style that encourages long-form reading. Atwood is an exception – probably correlated with her being a consummate fiction writer.

The writing here is engaging and consistently interesting. It’s almost like sitting down to dinner with a chatty Atwood, as she digresses on subjects near and dear to her heart.

Atwood is considering the human concept of debt – how and why we have the feeling of “owing” someone – the whole idea of obligation. Her thoughts draw on her not-inconsiderable personal knowledge and research, as she discusses her theme as it appears in history, religion, literature and anthropology.

The first four chapters are 5-star. Unfortunately, the final chapter, largely taken up with a didactic allegory, gets very, very preachy. (And I mean Sheri-S.-Tepper levels of preachy.) It wasn’t necessary – the content of the first four chapters got the point across very clearly, already. I’m already converted; so the finale felt a bit patronizing.
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Atwood's project is to show how human thought has been deeply shaped by notions of debt. It will be objected that she is merely spinning out an extended metaphor suggesting analogies between debt and noneconomic phenomena that are only vaguely analogous. In fact she is advancing the contrary and more interesting claim that economic activities involving borrowing and lending are metaphorical extensions of an underlying human sense of indebtedness.

Payback broaches an urgent topic in a way that won't make your eyes glaze over.
added by stephmo | editMedia Culture, Megan Yarrow (Jan 8, 2009)

In short, Margaret Atwood’s deeply enjoyable contemplation of debt comes from the same stable as the classic Presbyterian sermon about the sinners burning in hell who call out, ‘Lord, lord, we didnae ken.’ To which God replies, ‘Ah weel, ye ken noo!’

Because Atwood constantly veers off in new directions she doesn't always give herself time to sink her claws deep into a topic. The result is that, although Payback is packed with information, it can seem oddly thin.

Payback is a stimulating, learned and stylish read from an eminent author writing from a heartfelt perspective.

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Graeme and Jess,
and Matthew and Graeme the younger
Lecture One: Ancient Balances--This chapter is dedicated to the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto, where my interests in Egyptian coffins was awakened when I was nine; to my father, Dr. C. E. Atwood, through whom I read The Water Babies; and to all the children I babysat and watched over at summer camps and in the home -- stern teachers in the ways of tit-for-tat.
Lecture Two: Debt and Sin--This chapter is dedicated to Aileen Christianson of Scotland, to Valerie Martin of the United States, and to Alice Miunro of Canada -- experts on sin and debt, all. Also to my mother, Margaret K. Atwood, and to my aunt, Joyce Barkhouse, for the insights they have provided on living within your means.
Lecture Three: Debt as Plot--This chapter is dedicated to Miss Bessie B. Billings and Miss Florence Smedley, my English teachers at Leaside HIgh School in Toronto, where I first read The Mill and the Floss;
Canadian nature writer Ernest Thompson Seton had an odd bill presented to him on his twenty-first birthday.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,670,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible