Harlem by Walter Dean Myers

Harlem (1997)

by Walter Dean Myers

Other authors: Christopher Myers (Illustrator)

Harlem by Walter Dean Myers illuminates a great story of the essence of Harlem. It provides insight on the culture that flowed through the Harlem streets. In this poetry book, Walter Dean Myers does an excellent job in portraying characteristics with realism and poise. I recommend this book for readers of all ages as it provides enlightenment that is beneficial for persons of all age groups.
  rrasco1 | Apr 9, 2018 |
A beautiful poem of vibrant vitality illustrated in captivating colors and cut-paper collages. We get taste of a neighborhood brimming over with life and love and music and happiness and heartache, one with smells and sounds of family, friends and neighbors.

Here's a good book that can be used to show how alive a community can be. The illustrations are as delightful as the poem is moving. They are made with ink, gouache and collage. Each page is like a stand-alone work of art, so this book makes for a stunning collection of art that deserves to be shared in a class. ( )
  AlbertPascal | Feb 10, 2018 |
Walter Dean Myers walks us through the history, beauty, and darkness of Harlem. One poem that is an ode to Harlem. Christopher Myers' illustrations reflect the journey through Harlem that we experience along with the poem. ( )
  tessayondorf | Jul 18, 2017 |
This book is about the experiences of African Americans living in Harlem. It is a good example of poetry because it is a narrative poem that tells a story throughout the entire book. It also evokes emotion from the reader.
  Khegge15 | Mar 13, 2017 |
This beautifully illustrated picture book tells the story of living in Harlem. Myers takes us through the sounds and sights of the colorful neighborhood.
  CindyNeils | Jul 29, 2016 |

Walter Dean Myersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Myers, ChristopherIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my foster parents, Herbert and Florence Dean --W.D.M.

To Mom and Dad because I like you people --C.M.
They took to the road in Waycross, Georgia
Skipped over the tracks in East St. Louis
Took the bus from Holly Springs
Hitched a ride from Gee's Bend
Took the long way through Memphis
The third deck down from Trinidad
A wrench of heart from Goree Island
A wrench of heart from Goree Island
To a place called Harlem.

A poem celebrating the people, sights, and sounds of Harlem.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:38 -0400)

A poem celebrating the people, sights, and sounds of Harlem.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,949,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible