Talking to Dragons (1985)

by Patricia C. Wrede

Series: The Enchanted Forest Chronicles {Patricia C. Wrede} (4)

3,229464,193 (4.05)1 / 95
Queen Cimorene sends her sixteen-year-old son Daystar into the Enchanted Forest with the only weapon that can combat an evil wizard's magic in an effort to restore the balance of power in the kingdom.
    Ordinary Magic by Caitlen Rubino-Bradway (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar style and humour, as well as pushing against the stereotypes and rigid expectations that society believes people fall into just because of what they are.
    The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle by Deva Fagan (dylanesque)
    dylanesque: Talking to Dragons and the Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle share an irreverent, light-hearted tone, a magical coming-of-age quest, unlikely friends, and a rich magical world.

Group TopicMessagesLast Message
 Name that Book: Found: Trying to find a children's book series5 unread / 5DisassemblyOfReason, July 2021

English (45)  German (1)  All languages (46)
always a little sad to come back to a book from when you were a child & find it a lot thinner than you remember, not helped by this not being a very good audiobook
  hapax_l | May 1, 2023 |
In the fourth book chronologically, but first written - technically a prequel - Queen Cimorene fetches the sword of the sleeping king and kicks 16-year-old Daystar out of the house and into the Enchanted Woods after a visit from the wizard Antorell (who Cimorene melts, of course). Daystar doesn't know his true identity or who his father is or what he's supposed to do, but he has impeccable manners and a good bit of knowledge from Cimorene, including some dragon magic. He teams up with fire-witch Shiara and a young dragon, Morwen and a cat called Nightwitch; they venture through the Caves of Chance to the castle, where they battle wizards and rescue Mendenbar. While Daystar finally learns the truth about his family, Morwen and Telemain plan to marry, and Shiara becomes Kazul's newest princess. ( )
  JennyArch | Jan 15, 2023 |
I just learned that this was actually the first book published in the series, and that the first three were prequels. Odd, that. I am absolutely amazed that the story works as well as it does with the rest of the series, and that Wrede was able to fit all the pieces together. But then, I can't imagine what someone who was reading this book without having read the first three would make of the story - which honestly needed all the backstory to make sense.

I still remember the letter I wrote to Wrede after reading this book after it was re-released. It was one gigantic list of questions - What happened to Killer? How were there wizards on the side of good? That sort of stuff. Even as a kid I was an astute reader. Wrede's response was something akin to "I don't know the answers myself!"

I'm glad that I discovered this series in my very formative years. I'm positive that they made me a life-long fantasy reader, and lover of cracked fairy-tales. ( )
  wisemetis | Dec 28, 2022 |
This book really didn't do anything for me, except provide closure for the last book. Loved the first and second books in the series, didn't much are for 3 4 -- not sure if it's me not being in the mood, or just a lack of convincing adventure. Also, Cimorene can get away with teaching her son to be polite to dragons, but not teaching him to dissolve wizards with soapy water? Why not? ergh. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
WHY IS DAYSTAR SO DUMB? this book gets three stars because of the halo effect of the other three books. ALSO! The audible version is read in a way that makes Daystar seem even more dumb, just endlessly surprised by all events. ( )
  Venarain | Jan 10, 2022 |

Wrede, Patricia C.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
de Sève, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hartman, DaliaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hyman, Trina SchartCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paarma, Susanna(KÄÄnt.)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puda, JeffCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For NATE (who started it),
and for the rest of the Scribblies:

STEVE, PAM, KARA,
WILL, and EMMA.
Mother taught me to be polite to dragons.
I took a deep breath and spoke as steadily as I could:

'Sword of the Sleeping King,
I conjure thee:
By stream and starlight,
By sun and shadow,
By song and storm wind,
Show me thy tale!
(chapter 2)
We both nodded, and Kazul smiled again. 'Well, then. There are two types of magic in the world: the kind you're born with, and the kind you get from something else. Dragons' -- Kazul looked smug -- 'elves, unicorns, and fire-witches are born with magic. Ordinary witches and magicians get their magic from objects or from rituals involving things that have magic, which works quite well and doesn't upset things.

'Wizards, on the other hand, get their magic from everything around them that happens to have magic. Those staffs of theirs absorb little bits of it constantly, and the suction gets worse every time a wizard stores a new spell in his staff. That, by the way, is why dragons are allergic to wizards. Whenever those staffs get near us, they start trying to soak up some of our magic and we start sneezing.' (chapter 18)

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,540,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible