Puppet by Joy Fielding

Puppet

by Joy Fielding

Not one of my favorite Fielding books. There are others that are so much better. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
Foi o meu primeiro contacto com a esta escritora e de imediato fiquei surpreendido pelo ritmo da história. Apreciei bastante a construção dos personagens; estavam bem delineados, reais.
A história desenrola-se numa cadência vertiginosa, culminando num final em cheio. Aconselho para quem gosta de bom suspense, bom policial. ( )
  Joel.G..Gomes | Jan 12, 2018 |
First of all, Amanda is the most annoying woman you could ever meet. Originally from Toronto but living in Florida, she is a lawyer living a fast lifestyle. She has 2 ex-husbands and apparently no desire to settle down. One day, her secretary tells her that she has received phone calls from 'Ben'. Ben tuns out to be her 1st ex-husband and after putting off calling him for some time, she eventually gives in and calls him back. He tells her that her mother has shot and murdered a man in front of several witnesses in the four seasons hotel in Toronto. She is estranged from her mother and reluctantly flies home. Shes angry at her mother for her childhood but tries to solve the mystery around why her mother just murdered this man. Her mother wants to plead guilty and accept the punishment. Amanda starts searching for the tuth and uncovers a strange past. She also seems to love her ex-husband too who is currently in a relationship.
I didn't expect the twist at the end. It took me by complete surprise and it made putting up with Amanda all worth while. Once I got to the main twist, I could not stop reading. Definately worth reading for me. It appears other fans of Joy Fielding feel like this isnt her strongest work which leads me to believe that I will read more from this author. ( )
  Nataliec7 | Jan 24, 2017 |
Daughter gets call that mother charged with murder. Daughter who is a lawyer returns home to help, and there starts the mystery of their lives. The characters are not sympathetic, especially the daughter. She seems more concerned with wanting to connect with her ex than her mom!s conviction. She seems unstable yet able to hold down an important job. Not believable ( )
  latorreliliana | Jan 24, 2014 |
Finished last night. I did end up liking this book but like other reviewers before me, some parts were boring. Especially the parts where indeed she is talking to herself or thinking about her ex husband. Loved the end and it was hard to put down. I've read just a few Joy Fielding books. I loved Grand Avenue and The First Time. The first book is more a fiction book than her usual mystery/thriller style. I am planning to borrow some more books from the library by this author. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
Für Warren, Shannon und Annie.
Mein Herz, meine Seele, mein Heil.

New York Times bestselling author

Joy Fielding

is the mistress of the "taut suburban thriller"(Kirkus Reviews). Now Fielding unnerves readers with a richly layered page-turner that swings from haunting intrigue to electrifying suspense in the space of a heartbeat.

PUPPET

Living a no-strings-attached life in glamorous Palm Beach, beautiful, steely-nerved criminal attorney Amanda Travis knows exactly what she likes: spinning classes, the color black, and one-night stands. Here's what she dislikes: the color pink, nicknames...and memories. Which is why she has shut the door on two ex-husbands, her estranged mother, and her hometown of Toronto. Then comes the news that will shatter Amanda's untouchable world: her mother, who has always held a strange power over everyone she encounters, has shot and killed a complete stranger. Forced to return to Toronto, Amanda must confront her demons and unravel the truth behind her mother's violent act -- while the taunting, teasing name from her past dances in her head...Puppet...telling her that someone else is orchestrating her fate.

Includes an excerpt from Mad River Road, Joy Fielding's riveting new novel -- coming soon in hardcover from Atria Books

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:03 -0400)

"Puppet features the beautiful Amanda Travis, a successful twenty-eight-year-old criminal attorney who wins just about every case for her less than admirable clientele. A Florida transplant, Amanda races through her glamorous life, her only concerns being herself, a good bottle of red, and her pristine Palm Beach condominium. Her estranged mother, dead father, two ex-husbands, a love that once consumed her, and countless one-night stands have since lagged far, far behind.". "But when ex #1 won't stop calling, Amanda finally gives in. He tells her that her mother shot a man at point-blank range in the lobby of Toronto's Four Seasons hotel. Despite her best arguments, Amanda knows she must return to her hometown to face her demons and uncover the hidden facts behind her mother's violent outburst. All too soon, she is drawn into the dark, strange power her mother seems to hold over everyone. Her childhood nickname, Puppet, echoing in her ears, Amanda must finally confront the past in order to be free of the ties that bind and learn to stand on her own."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,487,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible