Handle with Care (2009)

by Jodi Picoult

After her daughter contracts a fatal disease, Charlotte O'Keefe must confront some serious questions that ultimately lead to one final epiphany: what constitutes a valuable life.
    From the Seeds of Sadness by Gemma M. Geisman (sewcrazy427)
    sewcrazy427: This is the true story of the young mother who became the founder of the Osteogenesis Imperfecta Foundation (OI Foundation) that is referenced in the back of "Handle With Care". Gemma Geisman gave birth to a son with OI back in the early 1950's when very little was known about the disease. "From the Seeds of Sadness" tells of her struggles with a breakable baby and how she fought for help, information and a cure for this rare bone disease. The OI Foundation will be celebrating it's 40th anniversary in 2010. This is a book well worth reading. Keep your tissues handy!… (more)
    My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (birdsam0307, kraaivrouw)

English (206)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  All languages (210)
I really wanted to read this book since my sister has Osteogenesis Imperfecta, which the "main" character has as well. It was well written, narration coming from different members of Willow's family; that was interesting. Unfortunately the only time Willow got a chapter was the last and worst chapter. Afterwards, I wondered to my sister if she thought that Jodi had met someone with OI and was inspired by them. Val, being ever so smart, said that she thought that the idea of wrongful birth probably came first and then Jodi needed a child with a disability with typical or above average cognitive skills. I'm afraid Val is correct, which dampens my feelings about the book. Also after reading this book, I purposely made it clear to Val that I never felt second rate to her or that she was a bother or that I wanted to hurt myself because of her. Maybe it was because she came into our lives when I was a young adult, I have a different perspective. The trueness of the story though, for families with children with disabilities of all types, is eye-opening and something I hope I've always treated with respect when working with my students, patients and their families. Yes, I am patient and kind but I don't have to live with _______________ (fill in the blank, i.e. autism, CP, etc.) 24/7 like the caregivers. If I was in their shoes, would I truly do anything different? All that being said, life can be sad enough. Last chapters should be happy. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
Oh lord this book pulled me in and tugged at those heart strings. As a woman who doesn't have kids, can't have kids and has thought every thought in this book about having kids it was an emotional book to read. ( )
  WellReadSoutherner | Apr 6, 2022 |
A medical drama about a family whose youngest daughter, Willow, is born with a medical condition (OI) where her bones are extremely fragile and break easily. As someone with chronic illness, I always appreciate it when the struggles of rare and chronic illnesses are depicted well, and I liked the care with which Jodi Piccoult put into showing how stressful it can be to go through every day from each person’s point of view—Willow, who has had every bone broken in her body except one, and is the most delightful and precocious of characters in the novel. Her parents, who understand that something like forgetting a doctor’s note can have terrible consequences. The stress of not being believed. And then when they go to the lawyer’s office, intending to sue for how they were mistreated by the authorities at Disney World, things take an interesting turn.

The lawsuit requires Willow’s mother to stand up and testify that her child should never have been born when Willow is so precocious, so aware, and will absorb every single word in that courtroom and the media that will be out there in the world forever hear her mother’s argument replayed again and again that her life should never have existed. How could any mother make that choice, even for a cash payout that would pay for things she needs down the line. Add to that the complication that the defendant is mom’s best friend who realistically if she did anything wrong missed a very rare diagnosis in utero. And then mom and dad can’t agree on what is right. And forgotten, ignored sister Amelia is quietly harming herself while no one notices. Yikes. Jodi Piccoult always writes these gut-wrenching dramas that leave me unable to stop turning pages and this was no exception!

While I enjoyed most of the novel... I had issues with how the ending was executed which affected my overall rating.

Trigger Warnings: bulimia, self-harm, graphic drowning death of a child

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader. ( )
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |
Willow is a 5 year old born with brittle bone disease and will suffer hundreds of broken bones during her lifetime. Her mother is pursuing a wrongful birth suit against her obstetrician (and former best friend). Families and friendships are torn apart.
  BLTSbraille | Sep 24, 2021 |
Primo libro letto di questa autrice. La scrittura è scorrevole e il romanzo, seppur corposo, si legge abbastanza velocemente. Unico neo; mi aspettavo più introspezione nei personaggi. ( )
  Ecate | Aug 18, 2021 |

Morris, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, RainerÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scott, Charlotte PerryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marjorie Rose,
Who makes flowers bloom onstage,
Provides me with goss half a world away,
And knows you're never fully dressed
without a green bag.
BFFAA
Things break all the time.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,147,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible