Handle with Care (2009)

by Jodi Picoult

4,0122042,243 (3.67)112
After her daughter contracts a fatal disease, Charlotte O'Keefe must confront some serious questions that ultimately lead to one final epiphany: what constitutes a valuable life.
    From the Seeds of Sadness by Gemma M. Geisman (sewcrazy427)
    sewcrazy427: This is the true story of the young mother who became the founder of the Osteogenesis Imperfecta Foundation (OI Foundation) that is referenced in the back of "Handle With Care". Gemma Geisman gave birth to a son with OI back in the early 1950's when very little was known about the disease. "From the Seeds of Sadness" tells of her struggles with a breakable baby and how she fought for help, information and a cure for this rare bone disease. The OI Foundation will be celebrating it's 40th anniversary in 2010. This is a book well worth reading. Keep your tissues handy!… (more)
    My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (birdsam0307, kraaivrouw)

English (200)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  All languages (204)
As usual, I did not like the ending of this Jodi Picoult book but I was expecting it. I am glad that her portrayal of Willow, the little girl in the
story who had Osteogenesis Imperfecta (OI), also known as Brittle Bone Disease was a positive personality. It is emphasized the children who have the constant possibility of having more and more broken bones, often develop more intellectually.

Before listening to this story, I think I had heard of brittle bone disease but knew more details about. The author brings the twist of a lawsuit for not wrongful death but wrongful birth. The mother, Charlotte, sued her best friend, her OB-GYN for not telling her that her child, Willow, could have OI. There is a lot of emotional turmoil between the two women, their husbands and Amelia. Amelia, the older sister, feels the effect of her parents every free and non-free moment being devoted to Willow, her emergencies and the financial burden of having a child with a serious disease. It is a complex but worthwhile story posing moral questions.

I loved that Amelia did feel hurt not be receiving equatable attention and doubting their love for her. But her love for her sister was very strong and unrelenting.

Another part of the story that I loved was when Willow got to the OI convention and relax with other children just like her. Like all Jodi Picoult stories, there are many stories enter twined with each other.

I have been a Jodi Picoult fan for long despite the endings of her stories. I bought this Library Audio Copy on-line for my own desire to learn about OI and to enjoy the author's story. ( )
  Carolee888 | Jun 13, 2021 |
The end is ridiculous! Why kill of the little girl after all that happened, after the whole novel . . . it seemed superfluous and even cruel. ( )
  mbellucci | Apr 10, 2021 |
Another good book by dependable author Jodi Picoult. Not amazing, but a good story with solid characters and a well thought plot that makes the reader both think and feel. As usual, Picoult picks a controversial subject, in this instance a wrongful birth lawsuit for a child born with Osteogenesis Imperfecta (brittle bone disease), and argues the case from every possible angle by everyone involved.

It’s basically the same formula she used in My Sister’s Keeper, although I seem to have developed more of a connection with those characters. Still, this was a good book, and I’d recommend it if you’re looking for a book that makes you think twice about your own gut reaction to a moral dilemma – it might be more complicated than you think. ( )
  ShannonHollinger | Feb 15, 2021 |
! Typical Piccoult formula...unnecessary ending...shame on me for getting sucked in...someone slap my hand if you see me reaching for this author again ( )
  Betsy_Crumley | Jan 28, 2021 |
Been there, read that. Very similar to My Sister's Keeper ( )
  karenhulseman | Dec 3, 2019 |

Morris, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, RainerÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scott, Charlotte PerryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marjorie Rose,
Who makes flowers bloom onstage,
Provides me with goss half a world away,
And knows you're never fully dressed
without a green bag.
BFFAA
Things break all the time.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,239,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible