Silverthorn by Raymond E. Feist
A poisoned bolt has struck down the Princess  Anita on the day of her wedding to Prince Arutha of  Krondor. To save his beloved,  Arutha sets out in search of the mytics herb called  Silverthorn that only grows in the dark and  forbidding land of the  Spellweavers. Accompanied by a mercenary, a minstrel, and a clever  young thief, he wil confront an ancient evil and do  battle with the dark powers that threaten the  enchanted realm of Midkemia.… (more)

English (34)  French (1)  All languages (35)
I read these books years ago and loved them. Listening to them now brings back good memories. Peter Joyce narrates wonderfully and is a pleasure to listen too.Has a few funny moments that you don't get in Magician. Looking forward to the next in the series! ( )
  Jawin | Dec 29, 2019 |
Boek 3 in de serie. Weer prachtig geschreven, en weer 5 sterren.

Puc heeft een kleine, maar belangrijke rol in dit bijna op zich zelf staand verhaal. Ook andere bekenden uit de vorige twee boeken maken hun opwachting.

De lang verwachte huwelijk tussen Arthura en Anita wordt abrupt verbroken als er een giftige pijl op hen wordt afgeschoten door een moordenaar.

Ook nu weer zijn er de grote gevaren te overwinnen op zoek naar een zeldzame plant, die groeit op een plek waar alleen de mordhel leven.

Een goede voorbereiding op dingen die komen gaan in volgende boeken.

Ik ga geen verder review schrijven. Liever lees ik het volgende deel: [b:Duisternis over Sethanon|2932935|Duisternis over Sethanon (De Sage van de Oorlog van de Grote Scheuring, #3)|Raymond E. Feist|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1204549587s/2932935.jpg|15940] lezen. ( )
  EdwinKort | Oct 18, 2019 |
Silverthorn is the third (or second, depending on how you count Magician) book in Raymond E. Feist’s Riftwar Saga, the first subseries in the Riftwar Cycle. This one picks up about a year after the previous book left off. There’s one more book in the subseries, so this one wraps up the most immediate problem that our characters are focused on, but it leaves a lot of dangling threads waiting for resolution in the next book.

Silverthorn brought the Feist Nostalgia Factor back in full force. 20 years after originally reading the first several books in the Riftwar Cycle, Arutha and Jimmy still lived on in my head as my favorite characters from his books. This is the first book that focuses mainly on those two, and I loved spending time with them again. It also brings back the ensemble camaraderie in full force which is something I really enjoy.

Reading it with older eyes, decades after its original publication in the 80’s, I can see now that it’s a teensy bit melodramatic at times. Also, our supposedly-stoic characters get all sappy a bit more often than might be realistic. I think I’ve come to appreciate a little more subtlety and “understatedness”, and yet I can understand why my 20-something-year-old self loved this and my 40-something-year-old self can’t help but still love it. I’m giving this one 4.5 nostalgic stars and rounding up to 5 on Goodreads. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Sep 1, 2019 |
This story focuses mostly on Arutha and Jimmy as they try to uncover and eliminate those seeking Arutha's death. Great characters
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
The second book in Feist's Midkemia series, 'Silverthorn' focuses on Prince Arutha and his exploits as he rushes to save the life of his bride to be Anita. Arutha has found that he's the target of assassins after being saved from an ambush by the boy thief Jimmy the Hand and with the forthcoming wedding to Anita, he tries very hard to clear Krondor of the Nighthawk menace with the aid of the Upright Man, the head of the hidden Thieves' Guild. This attempt proves that the Nighthawks are not regular assassins, but pawns in the hands of a darker power as they refuse to remain dead! When, despite all their best efforts, Anita is struck down by a poisoned bolt, Arutha and his select companions find themselves in a race to find the titular Silverthorn, facing a horde of morodhel in the processs.

This is a much better book than the first one (in my opinion, of course) though it does show Feist's gaming roots as his protagonists are forced up against various opponents out of the D&D game books ( )
  JohnFair | Jul 16, 2017 |

Maitz, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vaccaro, NaylonMapsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, Jamie S WarrenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
En bij dat opstaan was 't, als werd de lucht bewogen. Door verre donder - Milton - Het verloren paradijs.

Their rising all at once was as the

sound

Of thunder heard remote.

MILTON, Paradise Lost,

BOOK II, 1. 467
This book is dedicated to my nephews and niece, Benjamin Adam Feist, Ethan Aaron Feist, Alicia Jeanne Lareau, little magicians, all.
The sun dropped behind the peaks.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,517,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible