Sword at Sunset by Rosemary Sutcliff

Sword at Sunset (1963)

by Rosemary Sutcliff

6631820,909 (4.08)1 / 77
    Storyteller by G. R. Grove (Rowntree)
    Rowntree: Adventure in Britain a generation after Arthur. Hard to classify (well-researched historical fiction? magical realism?) but goes down very easily.

In spite of being a huge Rosemary Sutcliff fan, and a lover of King Arthur stories, I didn't care for this book. I couldn't get past 50 pages. The first person narrative grated, the total unfamiliarity and complicated names didn't grab me. It is quite possible that it was not the right time in my life to attempt this read, so don't hold this comment against the book. ( )
  MrsLee | Aug 20, 2018 |
This is a realistic account of the life of Arthur told from his perspective. Realistic in that is devoid of the magic, myths, and legends that surround his story, though superstitions abide. The politics of tribal infighting and Saxon depredations in post-Roman Britain are detailed as if they are current events. This is the best account of the life, loves and politics of Arthur (Artos the Bear) that I’ve come across. ( )
1 vote varielle | Jul 1, 2018 |
A realpolitik version of King Arthur that is battles, soldiers camping and alliances and betrayals between the various people of Britain. The writing is beautiful and the book makes you want to walk through the heathered hills of England but it was ultimately too much of one thing, battle after battle and I found my attention wavering by the end. ( )
  ltfitch1 | Jun 5, 2016 |
One of the best fictionalised tellings of the Arthur myth. ( )
  mlfhlibrarian | Oct 21, 2015 |
I liked this interpretation of the King Arthur legends, but never really felt that I got fully into the story. ( )
  mari_reads | Oct 18, 2015 |

Rosemary Sutcliffprimary authorall editionscalculated
Arno, EnricoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
D'Achille, GinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johnson, Kevin EugeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Now that the moon is near to full, the branch of an apple tree casts its nighttime shadow in through the high window across the wall beside my bed.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812588525, Mass Market Paperback)

For fourteen centuries the story of Arthur was a legend, misted over by the tradition of romantic hero-tales. But he was real--a man of towering strength, a dreamer and a warrior--who actually lived, and fought, and died for his impossible dream.

The man whom legend calls Arthur of Britain combined the best of Roman civilization with the fierce dedication of his Celtic ancestors.

Down through the generations his passionate determination to preserve the values of decency and freedom against the darkness of barbarism has been a clarion call that speaks to the best in humankind.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:51 -0400)

"This brilliant reconception of the Arthurian epic cuts through the familiar myths and tells the story of the real King Arthur: Artos the Bear, the mighty warrior-king who saved the last lights of Western civilization when the barbarian darkness descended in the fifth century. Artos here comes alive: bold and forceful in battle, warm and generous in friendship, tough in politics, shrewd in the strategy of war?and tender and tragically tormented in love" --Publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,574,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible