Among the Mad by Jacqueline Winspear

Among the Mad

by Jacqueline Winspear

Series: Maisie Dobbs (6)

1,244709,930 (4)160
Maisie Dobbs must catch a madman before he commits murder on an unimaginable scale.
    A Duty to the Dead by Charles Todd (MurderMysteryMayhem)
    The War Against Miss Winter by Kathryn Miller Haines (dla911)
    dla911: The would be actress becomes a detective when her gumshoe boss is murdered in New York during WWII. Captures the essense of NYC and its inhabitants. Great read.

This series gets better and better. Depth of characters, thoughtful, well-plotted. Love Maisie's dad, wish we saw more of him. ( )
  fbswss | Sep 17, 2019 |
I really like this series but I didn't care for this latest book quite as much as some of the others. Don't get me wrong, I still recommend it but I think readers are supposed to come away from the book with more compassion for those with mental illness, but that didn't work for me because the mentally ill characters weren't very likable. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
Same as the others. This series is like a very long single novel w/ a very even pace. I find it hard to believe that it would be possible to pay one's rent in London by begging, even in 1932. This book taught me the phrase "Mills bomb". ( )
  themulhern | Sep 22, 2018 |
Another solid mystery and more interesting developments in Masie's character. ( )
  duchessjlh | Sep 8, 2018 |
Maise is enlisted by the local and federal Govt. to find a killer that threatens to poison many Londoners in 1932. He wasa victim of Govt. experiments with different killer gases. ( )
  pgabj | Aug 23, 2018 |
Like Maisie, the novel’s storytelling style is efficient and humorless, but deeply empathetic.

Jacqueline Winspearprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cassidy, OrlaghNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fyfe, LisaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat. "We're all mad here.
I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

—LEWIS CARROLL,
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
A short time ago death was the cruel stranger, the visitor with the flannel footsteps ... today it is the mad dog in the house. One eats, one drinks beside the dead, one sleeps in the midst of the dying, one laughs and sings in the company of corpses.

—GEORGES DUHAMEL,

Keep True to the Dreams of thy Youth
~ Friedrich von Schiller
1759-1805
London, Christmas Eve, 1931

Maisie Dobbs, Psychologist and Investigator, picked up her fountain pen to sign her name at the end of a final report that she and her assistant, Billy Beale, had worked late to complete the night before.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,750,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible