Frostbitten by Kelley Armstrong
Being the world's only female werewolf has its advantages, such as having her pick of the Otherworld's most desirable males. And Elena Michaels couldn't have picked a more dangerously sexy and undyingly loyal mate than Clayton Danvers. Now their bond will be put to the ultimate test as they follow a bloody trail of gruesome slayings deep into Alaska's frozen wilderness--a trail left by a werewolf more wolf than human and more unnatural than supernatural.… (more)

I totally love Elena and Clay this books seemed to be a quick one so now that it's done I'm missing them ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
Finally back to an Elena book! One of my 2017 reading goals is to finally finish this series, and I’m well on my way! I like the fact that we’re getting back to an Elena and Clay-centric novel and while there are some magical elements involved, it actually centers around a fairly human concept: a domineering group of men who are trying to become the head honchos and give them some semblance of feeling powerful. This story is dark and deals with rough concepts surrounding abuse, especially abuse afflicted on women by men.

Elena and Clay head to the boonies in Alaska to help a new werewolf as well as to investigate some reports of wolf attacks on humans. What they end up finding is a lot more than they were expecting — a rebel group of the Russia werewolf pack who have decided to become the new American pack and lead by fear and force. On top of that, there’s a weird creature with a seemingly mythological history roaming around the Alaskan woods.

I was completely immersed in this book right up to the very end; it is gripping. In general, I try to read a little bit of a bunch of books that I’m currently reading, but I couldn’t do that with Frostbitten. I just had to know what was going to happen next. There’s plenty of action and fight scenes while also giving a nice amount of Elena/Clay time and dealing with some of Elena’s struggles with abuse that has happened in her past. And I have to say, one of my absolute favorite scenes was when Elena started fighting the rebel werewolf who was trying to rape her. Something about a woman beating the crap out of a rapist just makes me feel so good. As my husband can attest, I was triumphantly war screaming during the fight scene.

Overall, this was a great addition to the series. It has some interesting developments for the werewolves and details even more of their history. And, though I didn’t talk about it a lot in this review, it also added another element to the supernatural world as Elena and Clay encounter a different sort of shapeshifter during their Alaskan trek. I thought the ending was overly prolonged — just a couple too many upsets for my liking. It felt too hokey to have the power balance shift so many times between the rebel werewolves and Elena and Clay’s group, but it was still a pretty decent story. Looking forward to the next book in the series!

Also posted on Purple People Readers. ( )
  sedelia | Nov 1, 2017 |
Elena is still the only female werewolf, but years have past and she's become other things too: a wife, a mother, and the next Alpha of the Pack. In this latest book of Armstrong's "Women of the Underworld" series (book 10, I believe), Elena and her husband Clay travel to Anchorage, Alaska, to track down a young new werewolf. But there's far more trouble in Alaska than just Reese: women keep disappearing, and an old werewolf friend of Clay's turns up tortured to death. Elena and Clay investigate, and find a band of rapists, murderers, and criminals--all werewolves, and all panting to destroy the Pack.

The plot is simple and predictable, and the writing itself is easy to follow. There's a huge amount of rape, or attempted rape, in this book--far more time is spent getting Elena into and out of rape attempts than in exploring Alaska, or the new supernatural race discovered there. I'd have appreciated a bit more plot in place of cutesey telephone conversations with Elena's children or never-ending rape attempts. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I started this at 1pm and finished at 1am. I did put it down a few times during that block of time. I think I inhaled the book though. Great writing and action that just pulled you along in the book. Elena is trying to help clear a mutt's name but he's afraid that Clay is hiding waiting to pounce, so keeps running. This leads Elena and Clay to Alaska. They get to talk to the mutt but also there's more going on in Alaska than this one mutt. There are former packmates living there and one of them they can't get a hold of. We also find out that Jeremy is preparing Elena to become Alpha once the twins are in first grade. Clay's fine with that, Elena has to get used to the idea. She does have the support of the other pack members though. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Alaska still has many secrets hidden in the uncharted hills and valleys. Elena is sent there to check on an elder pack member who has not been heard from in a while and also to check on some reports of missing humans. When she gets there she is aware that there is more going on here then anyone thought. Her life her sanity and her back story all come slamming down on her shoulders. She is alone, Clay is is another state, unaware of her situation. Something truly scary lurks and it has her scent, but this big bad is not the only bad thing coming for her. Elena is out numbered, out fought and there is no hope in sight.
Action packed, filled with harrowing moments that had me on the edge of my seat. There are some awesome new beasties found in the wilderness and many bodies.It brought a fresh new look to this couples story. It was wonderful to visit with Clay and Elena again, one of my favorite couples. I really enjoyed this edition to the series. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
To Jeff, who still believes I can,
even on the days when I'm not so sure
As Tom watched the moonlight reflect off the ice-covered lake, he had a reflection of his own: the world really needed more snow.
"As I learned when I had the twins, a Change is a lot like giving birth, except you skip the labor pains and jump straight to the "what the hell was I thinking?" screams of agony." Elena
"If we announced that the crazy guy was in charge, they'd be arming themselves for Armageddon." Clay
"Clayton sharing his food?" Joey said with a strained smile. "Must be love."
"I've spent the last decade learning to stand firm and face my problems… or at least batter them until they're unrecognizable." Elena
"I should be dancing down the moonlit road, singing to the stars. But if I was, I'd know whatever was in that tea was more than a painkiller." Elena

For Elena Michaels, being the world's only female werewolf has its advantages, such as having her pick of the Otherworld's most desirable males. And she couldn't have picked a more dangerously sexy and undyingly loyal mate than Clayton Danvers. But now their bond will be put to the ultimate test. A werewolf more wolf than human and more unnatural than supernatural - a creature whose origins spring from ancient legend - is hunting human prey, and Elena and Clayton must track the predator deep into Alaska's frozen wilderness.
But the personal stakes are even higher. Either Clayton or Elena has been chosen to become the new Pack leader, and every wolf knows that there can only be one Alpha. The couple have always been equals in everything. Now, when their survival depends more than ever on perfect teamwork, will instinct allow one of them to lead and the other to follow?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,825,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible