This Present Darkness (1986)

by Frank E. Peretti

Series: This Present Darkness (1)

"Ashton is just a typical small town. But when a skeptical reporter and a prayerful pastor begin to compare notes, they suddenly find themselves fighting a hideous New Age plot to subjugate the townspeople, and eventually the entire human race"--Container.

Frank E. Peretti’s This Present Darkness “rivals The Screwtape Letters with its keen insight into spiritual warfare and the necessity of prayer. It is fast-moving, riveting reading, ranking with the best thrillers on the bookshelf.” This book is found on the library fiction shelves under the number F/PER.
  salem.colorado | Jun 22, 2022 |
This book was amazing! it begins a little slowly, but the climax literally had me squeezing the book so hard my knuckles turned white. This book is written by a strong Christian, and really emphasizes the importance of continual and sincere prayer, as well as the real-ness of the spiritual battle going on all around us. A must-read for Christians. ( )
  Michael_J | Jun 2, 2022 |
Case 15 shelf 2
  semoffat | Sep 1, 2021 |
An interesting take on spiritual warfare and impressive descriptions of angels. Good to see the connection between prayer and success. ( )
  2wonderY | Feb 4, 2021 |
It's a Christian thriller/conspiracy theory sort of book. It's a bit dated and that is distracting. But if you can get past the dated-ness of the story, it's definitely entertaining. I might recommend reading it more quickly than I did (it was dragged out for me over a couple months, so I think I lost some of the momentum that might otherwise have built). :)

Briefly, it's about a small town that has big problems developing, with its university, the local newspaper, and a small church at the center of the conflict. Families are torn apart, lives are ruined and ended, and nothing is at it initially seems. The pastor of the local small church (there is also a big church) and the owner of the paper, separately and in their own lives, try to get to the center of what is happening that is ripping the small town of Ashton completely apart, and both find their own families, jobs, and lives in danger.

I liked a lot of the imagery of demons and angels, and I thought the spiritual group was well written and interesting (spiritual in the sort of new-agey, collective consciousness sense). It is certainly thought provoking, if nothing else. ( )
  avanders | Nov 23, 2020 |

Peretti, Frank E.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bruijn, Anke deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For we are not contending against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
   Ephesians 612 (RSV)
To Barbara Jean,
wife and friend,
who loved me, and waited
Late on a full-mooned Sunday night, the two figures in work clothes appeared on Highway 27, just outside the small college town of Ashton. They were tall, at least seven feet, strongly build, perfectly proportioned. One was dark-haired and sharp-featured, the other blond and powerful.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,699,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible