This Present Darkness (1986)

by Frank E. Peretti

Series: This Present Darkness (1)

"Ashton is just a typical small town. But when a skeptical reporter and a prayerful pastor begin to compare notes, they suddenly find themselves fighting a hideous New Age plot to subjugate the townspeople, and eventually the entire human race"--Container.

An interesting take on spiritual warfare and impressive descriptions of angels. Good to see the connection between prayer and success. ( )
  2wonderY | Feb 4, 2021 |
It's a Christian thriller/conspiracy theory sort of book. It's a bit dated and that is distracting. But if you can get past the dated-ness of the story, it's definitely entertaining. I might recommend reading it more quickly than I did (it was dragged out for me over a couple months, so I think I lost some of the momentum that might otherwise have built). :)

Briefly, it's about a small town that has big problems developing, with its university, the local newspaper, and a small church at the center of the conflict. Families are torn apart, lives are ruined and ended, and nothing is at it initially seems. The pastor of the local small church (there is also a big church) and the owner of the paper, separately and in their own lives, try to get to the center of what is happening that is ripping the small town of Ashton completely apart, and both find their own families, jobs, and lives in danger.

I liked a lot of the imagery of demons and angels, and I thought the spiritual group was well written and interesting (spiritual in the sort of new-agey, collective consciousness sense). It is certainly thought provoking, if nothing else. ( )
  avanders | Nov 23, 2020 |
Normally I avoid Christian fiction. I have read some well-received Christian novels in the past, and felt them to be too preachy, as if the authors felt they had to show how pious or prayerful they were. As a Christian myself (though one whose beliefs are less - shall we say - strict than those who gave me the other books) I felt like those authors were preaching to the choir. So I was a little leery when my boyfriend recommended Peretti.

However, I needn't have worried. Yes, prayer and God were prevalent in the book. It wouldn't really have been a Christian novel if they weren't. But it was prayer as a part of certain characters' personality and beliefs. Prayer for the sake of other characters, not because the reader necessarily needed saving. Many times, it felt as if I was reading one of the paranormal books I'm fond of, only instead of good magic vs. bad magic, you have good spirits vs. bad. Instead of normal humans fighting off magic-induced possession, the possession is demonic. It often read very like a religious-based paranormal book, and I enjoyed it very much.

One thing that I found especially appropriate was the way swearing was handled. Some of the characters swore. They are humans, and humans do that. But the profanity wasn't actually written in the book, just spoken of. It was well done, and it took me a little while before I even realized it.

People who are anti-Christian will probably not appreciate this book. But for those who are Christian, or who are willing to give something different a try, this might be a good one to pick up. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
Rated: B
While we battle against sins of self, there is a greater battle being fought by angels and demons on our behalf. Good story bringing that reality to light. ( )
  jmcdbooks | Nov 21, 2019 |
Oh Lordy. I thought this book would never end. ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |

Peretti, Frank E.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bruijn, Anke deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For we are not contending against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
   Ephesians 612 (RSV)
To Barbara Jean,
wife and friend,
who loved me, and waited
Late on a full-mooned Sunday night, the two figures in work clothes appeared on Highway 27, just outside the small college town of Ashton. They were tall, at least seven feet, strongly build, perfectly proportioned. One was dark-haired and sharp-featured, the other blond and powerful.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,014,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible