Adam (2008)

by Ted Dekker

FBI behavioral psychologist Daniel Clark has been made famous by his arguments that religion is one of society's greatest antagonists. What Daniel doesn't know is that his obsessive pursuit of a serial killer known only as "Eve" will end in his own death at Eve's hand. Twenty minutes later Daniel is resuscitated, only to be haunted by those twenty missing minutes of life. It soon becomes painfully clear that the only way to stop Eve is to recover those missing minutes by dying . . . again. What isn't nearly as clear is just how many times he will have to die to discover the truth, not only about Eve, but about himself. To stop the killer, Daniel will have to face haunting realities about demon possession in the modern world--and reevaluate his own prejudice against religion.--Publisher description.… (more)

English (26)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (28)
I really enjoyed this one. I think alot of ppl in the reviews here are taking this way too seriously. Yes, this book deals with demonic possessions, religion and near death experiences, but, it's a work of fiction, only a story. I have read books that take a much darker approach to these subjects. Dekker does a great job of keeping things in perspective here. He delves into deep and controversial topics without becoming over invested in the ideology. There are some of the plot twist and turns we have come to expect from him, but this one stays the course a bit more than his other works. This was an enjoyable fast read for me. Well done, once again, Dekker! ( )
  Jfranklin592262 | May 5, 2022 |
an investigator goes after a serial killer who turns out to be demon possessed. This was disturbing. There was very little of the power of Jesus involved. Dekker also seems to be trying to include Islam in his appeal to those of faith" approach. I did not like this book or the underlying theology behind it.

And to be honest, the writing, plot, characterization and pacing just didn't draw me in." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
In "Adam" you follow the latest and most career intensive case of an FBI criminal profiler who also, through his studies has come to view religion as one of the driving forces of evil in society (and his serial killers motive), as opposed to an "evil force" itself existing.

My biggest disappointment with this book is that in the end, little time or attention or detail for that matter is given to how the Light overcomes the very real darkness. So much time is spent exploring the possibility and then reality of the evil side of the supernatural that you are left to wonder how the light defeated the darkness. I gave it 4 stars because of the well thought out plot, (it was a very interesting story), even if the end didn't answer my questions. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Wow. Ted Dekker's writing is so vivid. I may have to take a few days before writing about this one. ( )
  kristina_brooke | Apr 15, 2016 |
Not bad until the end, when it became one long worn out sermon. ( )
  whitebalcony | Sep 26, 2013 |

Dekker, Tedprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gregory, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een dief komt alleen om te roven,
te moorden en te verwoesten;
maar ik ben gekomen om hun het leven te schenken...
JOHANNES 10:10
A hot, sticky evening in Los Angeles

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,611,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible