A Single Thread (2008)

by Marie Bostwick

Series: Cobbled Court (1)

Moving from Fort Worth, Texas to New Bern, Connecticut to open a quilt shop begins a new life for Evelyn Dixon, bringing unexpected connections with a trio of women who come to the shop for quilting classes.

English (17)  German (1)  All languages (18)
Lovely book about Evelyn, who is looking to put down new roots and stumbles across an empty shop that she turns into a quilt shop. You get to know the others in town and the ones in particular that join the quilt circle. Of course, just like other women's small groups - sometimes you quilt and sometimes you just socialize/lend an ear or lend a hand. ( )
  nancynova | Sep 6, 2019 |
A Single Thread by Marie Bostwick

After divorce, Evelyn moves cross country and opens a Quilting store. On the day of a planned event to support breast cancer, she reveals that she herself has breast cancer. Soon new deep friendships are formed and we learn about the lives of the other women as Evelyn deals with the disease.

A beautiful and moving romance. The highs and lows of cancer, friendships, family and love. And the hidden and bonding connections of a quilting circle.
Absolutely lovely.

I listened to the audio version. ( )
  Madison_Fairbanks | Jul 7, 2018 |
Combined Fiction Books, A Single Thread and Dead Heat
  SABC | Jan 15, 2018 |
I loved this book so much. It almost makes me want to learn quilting. Not that I need another hobby.

I laughed, and I cried, and I cheered along with the wonderfully crafted characters. The plotline where a main character is diagnosed with breast cancer struck close to home for me, as I lost my mother to that last year.

The romances grew so organically out of the relationships [a:Marie Bostwick|489648|Marie Bostwick|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1322192911p2/489648.jpg] introduced. I like romance well enough, but I roll my eyes at contrived love stories. No eye-rolling here, though; only smiles from me.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes to read character-driven stories. It's not my usual fare: most of the time, I prefer stories full of magic and such, but it doesn't need any of that. It's simply beautiful. Well-crafted, like a handmade quilt. ( )
  EstherSpurrillJones | Dec 11, 2017 |
This book is about a newcomer to the Fort Worth area that opens a quilt shop and quickly becomes friends with four other ladies. This is Book One in a series, so there's more to read if you enjoy it.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Nov 13, 2016 |
For my sister, Elizabeth Walsh
One of my happiest memories is one of my mother's worst.

Marie Bostwick is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,390,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible