A Bear Called Paddington (1958)

by Michael Bond

Series: Paddington (1)

A very small bear found by Mr. and Mrs. Brown at Paddington station becomes one of the family.
    Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Another British children's book about bears. Both bears are very well-meaning but always seem to end up getting into all kinds of scrapes. They also share a lot of wisdom through the stories which makes them great books for adults to read and enjoy as well as children.… (more)
    Curious George by H. A. Rey (zjeszay)
    Bunnicula by Deborah Howe (Curran2)
    Ponder and William by Barbara Softly (bookel)

English (61)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (63)
I listened to this on Hoopla for two reasons: First, it is narrated by Stephen Fry, so you know that part will be great. Second, my daughter is going to school in London now and I have been to Paddington Station on several occasions, so this quick introduction to a character I have heard about but never read seemed worthwhile. And it was. Paddington is nothing like his chief bear competition, Winnie the Pooh, nor is he like the Berenstain Bears. Paddington is from Darkest Peru, but his aunt, who is now in a home for retired bears in Lima, has taught him English and recommended he emigrate. There is no word about what happened to Paddington's parents. I suspect either Spanish Conquistadors or the Shining Path had something to do with their disappearance. In any case, Paddington is quickly adopted by the Brown family--a perfect family with a mother, a father, a son, a daughter, and a housekeeper. He is well clothed and fed (especially marmalade) and treated like one of the children. Modern readers may be aghast at how much freedom the Browns give their kids at places like the seaside, where Paddington has one of his adventures, which always seem to turn out okay. There's nothing as quirky or endearing here as Winnie the Pooh and his friends, however. Paddington is a bear, but no one takes too much notice of it, which attests to the diversity of London, even in the 1950s when this was first published. Paddington, the Browns, and Stephen Fry are pleasant companions, so you and your children may enjoy them. There are other volumes that follow, with Fry again providing the narration. Nice for a car trip with small children or if you are hoarse from reading to them yourself. ( )
  datrappert | May 30, 2022 |
The boys didn't find Paddington funny the way I did. When I was young, Paddington would make me laugh till I cried, they barely giggled. I wonder why. ( )
  emrsalgado | Jul 23, 2021 |
This is a collection of mildly amusing tales about a small bear who comes to live with a family in London.

I recall reading this years ago and being just as underwhelmed at the time. Upon my reread I found the title character's antics irritating and quickly lost interest in the book. If I'd read this when I was a child I might have enjoyed it more. ( )
  fuzzi | Feb 28, 2021 |
Oh, wow! I did not expect such cheek (Mr. Brown struggling to stifle laughter at the misfortune of their foul neighbor) or such a fun process to how Paddington always ends up in a pickle. There's such a unique warmth and quirk to these stories. It's also quite funny! The adults are all so entertaining with their little quips, especially Mrs. Bird's prickliness. I honestly had no idea the original Paddington story wasn't a picture book (there are some drawings, though). ( )
  JumbaJustine | Oct 15, 2020 |
Such a delightful book. My daughter enjoyed it, too. ( )
  DKnight0918 | Sep 12, 2020 |

Needham, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Piotrowski, KazimierzTł.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tenfjord, Jo GiæverOvers.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warne, IngridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mr and Mrs Brown first met Paddington on a railway platform.
Things are always happening to me. I'm that sort of bear.
He was just thinking what a lot of excitement pressing one small button could cause when a heavy hand descended on his shoulder.
Paddington had a very persistent stare when he cared to use it. It was a very powerful stare. One which his Aunt Lucy had taught him and which he kept for special occasions.
ISBN 0907486940 is titled A Bear Called Paddington, but it is for an omnibus with 5 of the novels.

Contains:
Chapter One: PLEASE LOOK AFTER THIS BEAR
Chapter Two: A BEAR IN HOT WATER
Chapter Three: PADDINGTON GOES UNDERGROUND
Chapter Four: A SHOPPING EXPEDITION
Chapter Five: PADDINGTON AND THE "OLD MASTER"
Chapter Six: A VISIT TO THE THEATER
Chapter Seven: ADVENTURE AT THE SEASIDE
Chapter Eight: A DISAPPEARING TRICK.

Mr. and Mrs. Brown first met Paddington, a most endearing bear from Darkest Peru on a railway platform in London. A sign hanging around his neck said, "Please look after this bear. Thank you" So that is just what they did. Paddington has many adventures as he learns to navigate life in London.
замечательная книжка для вечернего чтения детям -- дочь слушала взапой, переспрашивала и просила показать картинки, похоже станет любимой книгой для вечернего чтения
Peruvian Bear
Polite yet accident prone
Moves to the UK
(neverstopreading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,115,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible