Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne

Winnie-the-Pooh (1926)

by A. A. Milne

Other authors: E.H. Shepard (Illustrator)

Series: Winnie-the-Pooh (1)

The House at Pooh Corner by A. A. Milne (gilberts)
    A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Another British children's book about bears. Both bears are very well-meaning but always seem to end up getting into all kinds of scrapes. They also share a lot of wisdom through the stories which makes them great books for adults to read and enjoy as well as children.… (more)
    Owly Volume 1: The Way Home & The Bittersweet Summer by Andy Runton (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Owly reminds me most of the Winnie the Pooh TV cartoons, but the book as well.
    Finding Winnie: The True Story of the World’s Most Famous Bear by Lindsay Mattick (inge87)
    Ponder and William by Barbara Softly (bookel)

English (157)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (160)
Christopher Robin, Winnie-the-Pooh, and all their friends have adventures in the woods and meadows around Christopher Robin's home. Eeyore is always depressed but included in the friends' adventures. Pooh has, as he himself says, very little brain, and he loves his honey, but he tries to be kind and generous, even if he doesn't always get it right. Owl lives in the Hundred Acre Wood, and everyone knows he's the wisest of them, even if perhaps he doesn't know quite as much as he might. All the friends are distressed and alarmed, and perhaps a little jealous, because of the arrival in their forest of Kanga, and her tiny child, Roo, whom she carries in her pocket.

These are delightful stories that most adults will remember from childhood, and Peter Dennis reads them beautifully.

Recommended.

I bought this audiobook. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
Another Classic that I really thought I would enjoy since I am an arctophile (a person who collects or is very fond of teddy bears) but imagine my surprise when I didn't like it.

I don't know whether it was the treatment that Winnie received or the writing, but not a favorite for me. ( )
  cyderry | Aug 21, 2018 |
This is a book I should have read already. And it is one I should have read to my children...but I didn't. Well...not all of them. More's the pity, because it is so delightfully innocent and charming. I've seen, over the years, much backlash on Disney's take, but I think they captured Pooh well. I admit that all of the voices in my head as I read this were theirs - Sebastian Cabot, Sterling Holloway and Jim Cummings, John Fiedler, Hal Smith, Ralph Wright and Peter Cullen...

But not Paul Winchell...seems I must read more to see when Tigger appears.

Wonderful. And about time. ( )
  Razinha | Aug 9, 2018 |
I read this to my youngest child, who is 9 years old. This was a childhood book for me and although I remembered some of the stories I hadn't remembered all. It is dated in that the sentences are so long, and the way it is worded. I hadn't realised either that it is set up as though someone is telling a child the stories. I found that made it a little disjointed.

Some of the dialogue is deliberately messy in an attempt to humour, but it seemed to confuse rather than be funny, although that is as much down to the reader and their ability to understand the intention.

We still enjoyed the stories and illustrations, and the different defined characters. As an adult I read far more into the characters and stories than I would have perceived as a child. Like how Eeyore is so down and negative all the time, and how everyone ignores this about him, and how Rabbit was against the arrival of Kanga & Roo in the forest and tried to force them to leave in quite a drastic, aggressive way - kidnapping Roo and holding him hostage. It sheds a very different story of the dreaming remembrances of my childhood.
  purplequeennl | Jul 11, 2018 |
Children's stories about a boy and his stuffies. The characters in this story; Piglet, Rabbit, Owl, Eeyore, Kanga and Roo. The stories are set int he 100 acre woods (England). Pooh is naive and slow-witted, but he is also friendly, thoughtful, and steadfast. Pooh does have ideas driven by common sense. These include riding in Christopher Robin's umbrella to rescue Piglet from a flood, discovering "the North Pole" by picking it up to help fish Roo out of the river, inventing the game of Poohsticks, and getting Eeyore out of the river by dropping a large rock on one side of him to wash him towards the bank.Pooh is also a talented poet, and the stories are frequently punctuated by his poems and "hums." This story addresses anxieties, kindness, empathy and friendship. ( )
  Kristelh | Jun 17, 2018 |

Ishii, MomokoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Her

Hand in hand we come

Christopher Robin and I

To lay this book in your lap.

Say you're surprised?

Say you like it?

Say it's just what you wanted?

Because it's yours--

Because we love you.
Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin.
“When you wake up in the morning, Pooh,” said Piglet at last, “what’s the first thing you say to yourself?” “What’s for breakfast,” said Pooh. “What do you say, Piglet?” “I say, I wonder what’s going to happen exciting today?” said Piglet. Pooh nodded thoughtfully. “It’s the same thing,” he said. (160)
So Kanga and Roo stayed in the Forest. And every Tuesday Roo spent the day with his great friend Rabbit, and every Tuesday Kanga spent the day with her great friend Pooh, teaching him to jump, and every Tuesday Piglet spent the day with his great friend Christopher Robin. So they were all happy again. (109)
[Piglet] is jealous because he thinks Pooh is having a Grand Introduction all to himself. Pooh is the favourite, of course, there’s no denying it, but Piglet comes in for a good many things which Pooh misses; because you can’t take Pooh to school without everybody knowing it, but Piglet is so small that he slips into a pocket, where it is very comfortable to feel him… and in this way he has got more education than Pooh, but Pooh doesn’t mind. Some have brains, and some haven’t, he says, and there it is. (ii-iii)
The isbn 0525430350 is associated with an unabridged version of "Winnie-the-Pooh", not Disney's "Winnie-the-Pooh and Tigger".

Edward Bear acquires a new name, Winnie-the-Pooh, and a new life with the inhabitants of the Hundred Acre Woods.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:19 -0400)

Join Pooh and his friends as they go adventuring in that most special place, the Hundred Acre Wood. This edition reproduces the original 1926 Winnie-the-Pooh.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,806,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible