Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne

Winnie-the-Pooh

by A. A. Milne

Other authors: E.H. Shepard (Illustrator)

Series: Winnie-the-Pooh (1)

The House at Pooh Corner by A. A. Milne (gilberts)
    A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Another British children's book about bears. Both bears are very well-meaning but always seem to end up getting into all kinds of scrapes. They also share a lot of wisdom through the stories which makes them great books for adults to read and enjoy as well as children.… (more)
    Owly Volume 1: The Way Home & The Bittersweet Summer by Andy Runton (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Owly reminds me most of the Winnie the Pooh TV cartoons, but the book as well.
    Finding Winnie: The True Story of the World’s Most Famous Bear by Lindsay Mattick (inge87)
    Ponder and William by Barbara Softly (bookel)
1920s (2)
Robin (7)

English (162)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (165)
My spouse was unimpressed with my dalliance with the Moomins and insisted that I would be better served with The Wind in the Willows and with Winnie the Pooh. I read the former a couple of months ago, and now I've done Pooh. Well, it's charming and all the old stories I remember from when I was a kid. But I don't think it's retained its charm as much as has The Wind in the Willows, and I'm not sure it's any more charming than the Moomin stories. I would, however, love to be reading this to my 5-year-old grandson, if only I could get him to sit still for a few minutes. ( )
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
I enjoyed reading this book again, especially with the movie Christopher Robin coming out. I read the 80th Anniversary Edition (it came out in 2006) which means that this book is close to celebrating its 100th Anniversary and is just as inviting to children today as it was then. The book is made up of chapters, which are actually individual stories. Winnie-The-Pooh was actually called Edward Bear, and Christopher Robin named him Winnie the Pooh after seeing Winnie the Bear at the zoo. All the characters I remember were in the book, stuffed animals Piglet, Kanga and Roo, real animals Rabbit and Owl. Tigger is not in this book, he appeared in the second one. Children will enjoy these stories about these talking animals and their friend Christopher Robin. They are constantly having adventures or getting themselves in trouble. Such fun! Reading one story a night before bedtime would help introduce a new generation to Winnie-The-Pooh. The illustrations are reproductions from the original watercolours done by Ernest H. Shepard and are so whimsical and bring back an earlier, easygoing time.I didn’t remember the songs that Pooh made up in the story, but I still remember the songs from the Disney movie. My mother bought me a copy of the soundtrack on LP and I listened to it over and over. I loved those songs. I am happy that I got a chance to read it again.

Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
This...this teaches you life! ( )
  iSatyajeet | Nov 21, 2018 |
A classic character that is well known all over the world. The book is structured into a short story like the format so that the reader can get an entirely new adventure every time they read the book. ( )
  Mistian | Nov 16, 2018 |
The Disney film stayed very true to this book, but there is a magic in reading the story instead. I enjoyed this immensely and would recommend it to anyone that has seen the films or anyone looking for wholesome tales to tell their children. I was more than pleased with this book and glad it is one of the books I finally read even if it was as an adult. ( )
  CassieWinters | Oct 30, 2018 |

Schiffer, E. L.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Her

Hand in hand we come

Christopher Robin and I

To lay this book in your lap.

Say you're surprised?

Say you like it?

Say it's just what you wanted?

Because it's yours--

Because we love you.
Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin.
“When you wake up in the morning, Pooh,” said Piglet at last, “what’s the first thing you say to yourself?” “What’s for breakfast,” said Pooh. “What do you say, Piglet?” “I say, I wonder what’s going to happen exciting today?” said Piglet. Pooh nodded thoughtfully. “It’s the same thing,” he said. (160)
So Kanga and Roo stayed in the Forest. And every Tuesday Roo spent the day with his great friend Rabbit, and every Tuesday Kanga spent the day with her great friend Pooh, teaching him to jump, and every Tuesday Piglet spent the day with his great friend Christopher Robin. So they were all happy again. (109)
[Piglet] is jealous because he thinks Pooh is having a Grand Introduction all to himself. Pooh is the favourite, of course, there’s no denying it, but Piglet comes in for a good many things which Pooh misses; because you can’t take Pooh to school without everybody knowing it, but Piglet is so small that he slips into a pocket, where it is very comfortable to feel him… and in this way he has got more education than Pooh, but Pooh doesn’t mind. Some have brains, and some haven’t, he says, and there it is. (ii-iii)
The isbn 0525430350 is associated with an unabridged version of "Winnie-the-Pooh", not Disney's "Winnie-the-Pooh and Tigger".

Edward Bear acquires a new name, Winnie-the-Pooh, and a new life with the inhabitants of the Hundred Acre Woods.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:19 -0400)

Join Pooh and his friends as they go adventuring in that most special place, the Hundred Acre Wood. This edition reproduces the original 1926 Winnie-the-Pooh.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,633,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible