Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

A Path with Heart: A Guide Through the…

A Path with Heart: A Guide Through the Perils and Promises of Spiritual…

by Jack Kornfield

English (8)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (10)
Clear, salient points. I appreciated the wisdom within this book. It is a beautiful snapshot in time of the author's philosophy and advice to himself and any who want it. ( )
  Velmeran | Jan 26, 2019 |
It's okay, if you are into buddhism that is. ( )
  lente | Dec 6, 2015 |
Another great introduction to Buddhism. Kornfield presents the teachings in a direct manner with lots of illustrative stories and metaphors. This is much more than meditation instruction. He shows how we can live with more mindfulness and compassion in all parts of our life. ( )
  gratefulyoga | Feb 9, 2012 |
How do we connect the pieces of our lives in a way that makes sense of our relationship to those we love, our communities and the world? This is the ultimate spiritual question. Kornfield went off to Southeast Asia as a young adult seeking answers in the monasteries of the forest tradition of Theravada Buddhism. When he returned to the United States, he began teaching the ideas and spiritual practices learned in the east in a way that modern Americans could understand. Much of the mythology is absent but the essence of the teaching is the same.

Kornfield's books have been a transformative force in my life and reading A Path With Heart was a worthwhile part of the transformation. The theme is compassion and the practice is harder than it sounds. By the time I read the book, I had already spent time on retreat at the Insight Meditation Society founded by Kornfield, Goldstein and others.

Kornfield is a born storyteller and Buddhism is replete with wonderful universal stories that capture the dilemmas of being human and the Buddhist vision of spirituality. So the book is enjoyable. It is also very practical--full of practices to try and new ways of thinking.

If you like this book, you might enjoy logging on to the Dharma Seed's library and listening to some of Kornfield's dharma talks. His series about the path of the householder is especially good. ( )
  etsmith | Oct 26, 2011 |
I have read this book three times. Once to see what it contained, a second time to study it (it took me three years), the third time to remind me of The Path. This may appear to be a book for Buddhists but you'd be sadly mistaken. This is a valuable tool to anyone who is seeking to follow a spiritual path. ( )
  stanlicious | Oct 6, 2008 |
To my wife, Liana,
from whom I've learned so much,
for her love, wisdom,
deep questioning, and heartfelt support,
and for the blessings of our marriage together.

To Hameed Ali, A. H. Allmaas,
for his teachings
that so profoundly integrate life, love, and the sacred.

To the spirit of innovation
of Achaan Chah, the Dalai Lama, Mahasi Sayadaw,
Buddhadasa Bikkhu, Chogyam Trungpa, Maha Ghosananda, U Ba Khin,
and
so many other courageous modern masters.
Even the most exalted states and the most exceptional spiritual accomplishments are unimportant if we cannot be happy in the most basic and ordinary ways, if we cannot touch one another and the life we have been given with our hearts.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553372114, Paperback)

In undertaking a spiritual life, we must make certain that our path is connected with our heart, according to author and Buddhist monk Jack Kornfield. Since 1974 (long before it gained popularity in the 1990s), Kornfield has been teaching westerners how to integrate Eastern teaching into their daily lives. Through generous storytelling and unmitigated warmth, Kornfield offers this excellent guidebook on living with attentiveness, meditation, and full-tilt compassion.

Part of what makes this book so accessible is Kornfield's use of everyday metaphors to describe the elusive lessons of spiritual transformation. For example, he opens with "the one seat" lesson taught to him by his esteemed teacher. Literally it means sitting in the center of a room and not being swayed or moved by all the people and dramas happening around you. On a spiritual level it means sticking "with one practice and teacher among all of the possibilities," writes Kornfield; "inwardly it means having the determination to stick with that practice through whatever difficulties and doubts arise until you have come to true clarity and understanding." The same could be said for this "one book." Among all the spiritual self-help books, this is a classic worth sticking with and returning to--a highly approachable teacher that can only lead to greater clarity and understanding. --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:56 -0400)

Perhaps the most important book yet written on meditation, the process of inner transformation, and the integration of spiritual practice into our Western way of life, A Path With Heart brings alive the possibilities of inner peace, wholeness and the achievement of happiness. Written by a teacher, psychologist and meditation master of international renown, this is a warm, inspiring and, above all, practical book. Its gentle wisdom will guide you through the ups and downs of contemporary living, such as addiction, psychological and emotional healing, problems with relationships and the difficulties of achieving a balanced life of simplicity.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,513,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible