Magic Strikes by Ilona Andrews

Magic Strikes

by Ilona Andrews, Andrew Gordon (Author's real name), Ilona Gordon (Co-author's real name)

Series: Kate Daniels (3)

Recently added byalekc, rena75, private library, superdeeblaine, WendyFraser1965, monadz

English (105)  German (1)  All languages (106)
5 stars

And on I keep going with my second readings of this series and this particular book is one of my absolute favourites (hence the shelf). Even after so many months, I remembered the entire plot and what was gonna happen, save for some details, and I was still so engrossed in the book that I couldn't bring myself to stop, even though I already knew the entire situation. I think that's the one I remembered best out of the books I've already read of this series, and that might be due to the fact that I liked it so much.

I love that we discover a new side of Saiman in that book, one that it's almost hard to reconcile with what we know of the character, to be honest, but which explains so much. I had forgotten part of his genealogy and was glad to read about that once again.

Kate, as always, remains awesome (I feel so much for her and what Voron made her go through as a child), and that thing with Curran is just hilarious. Thank you so much for her friends for helping her digging her hole, it's just lots of fun to read. Andrea is my role model, for real, while Jim and Derek kinda screw everything up so I'm not gonna say I was pleased with them (but I still love them). Dali! How god, a vegetarian tiger, who would have thought? She starts to show how interesting of a character she is and I can't wait to meet her again.

As for the plot, well I don't want to spoil it but let's say that the fighting is far from uninteresting.

Again, my recommendation stands for those who have already started with the series. Starting with that book might be a bit confusing, characters wise, as they just keep on adding more and more characters while keeping the "old" ones, but I think the world in itself isn't so hard to graspe, thanks to the reminders. Give it a go if you'd like, but you should definitely start at the beginning of the series. ( )
  AnaelleG | Jul 28, 2019 |
Lilstened to audio narrated well by Renée Raudman. Really liking this series. Kate's strong, smart and makes me smile. Curran's pursuit of her is cool too. Get to learn a bit more about Kate's background and upbringing as well. Kate finds herself attending the Midnight Games and the mysterious Reaper team after negotiating with Saiman to save Derek. Kate finds herself in deep and ends up entering the Midnight games in order to avenge Derek and stop a severe threat to the shifters.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Best one yet. Love the world building, though it is still missing little bits of information in some places. I love the characters and Curran might just be the first contender for the top spot of Fantasy Goodies... But I'm not sure yet if he's man enough to take on Barrons.
It should be against the law to end a book like that though. But I'm luckily far behind and can move on to the next one 😊 ( )
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
9/18- this series is good and getting into the swing of things! Kate reveals her past a little more and that’s scary bc when people get close to her they die. Curran wants Kate and she wants him but she’s trying to resist. Things get hot!
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
Okay I admit it. I'm completely and utterly in love with Kate Daniels and her series. The more I read, the better she gets! Kate is the whole package. She's strong, caring, snarky and can kick your ass in the blink of an eye. I cannot believe that I waited so long to start this series, but I'm more than making up for it with how quickly I'm powering through these books. Ilona Andrews knows how to write a character my friends. Oh, she knows.

My favorite part about Magic Strikes was finally getting to see the back stories of my favorite characters. I learned a lot about Kate, Jim and even Curran. The opportunity to see them at their most vulnerable, to be able to see into the raw parts of themselves, was a treat. Curran especially shines in this installment. At first I was dubious about his relationship with Kate. He was just so overbearing and, well, alpha status all the time. In this book though the sweet side of him starts to shine through. I think I'm falling for him, I'm not going to lie. It's apparent how much he adores Kate, and the smolder is starting to turn into a full blown fire!

Then there is the setting. Atlanta is back, and as magical as ever. However this time around there's the added carnage and excitement of the Midnight Games. When Kate discovers that Derek near death, she ties him to these very secretive games. Being Kate, she of course has to investigate! What ensues is a magic-filled, epic set of battles. If I thought Kate and her friends were cool before, they are off the charts now. Getting to see them use the full extent of their powers was delicious. More please!

I'm a fan of this series so I'll rave about it until the end of time. However the point remains that it truly does have it all! Andrews gives the reader well fleshed out and kick-ass characters, humor, action, and even some heart. This is the stuff of obsession. By the time I reached the end of Magic Strikes, all I wanted was more book. If you haven't started this series yet, get to it! It's well worth your time. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |

Ilona Andrewsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gordon, AndrewAuthor's real namemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gordon, IlonaCo-author's real namemain authorall editionsconfirmed
DeFex, Annette FioreCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, Chad MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Anastasia and Helen
Some days my job was harder than others
I have a superior reaction time. That was why although I shot out of my chair, jumped onto my desk, and attempted to stab the intruder into my office in the throat, I stopped the blade two inches before it touched Andrea's neck. Because she was my best friend, and sticking knives into your best friend's windpipe was generally considered to be a social faux pas. (chapter 3)
I gave him [Saiman] a smile. I was aiming for sweet, but he turned a shade paler and scooted a bit further from me. Note to self: work more on sweet and less on psycho-killer. (chapter 14)
[Kate continues to describe the outfit she's wearing to pick up Julie at her school]

The cloak coupled with a black leather vest made me look suitably menacing. All that was missing was a giant neon sign with rotating sparklers proclaiming HARD CASE. LINE TO GET YOUR ASS KICKED FORMS TO THE RIGHT. (chapter 21)

Atlanta would be a nice place to live if it weren’t for the magic. When the magic is up, rogue mages cast their spells and monsters appear, while guns refuse to fire and cars fail to start. But then technology returns, and the magic recedes as unpredictably as it arose.

Kate Daniels works for the Order of the Knights of Merciful Aid, officially, as a liaison with the mercenary guild. Unofficially, she cleans up the paranormal problems no one else wants to handle – especially if they involve Atlanta’s shapeshifting community.

When she’s called in to investigate a fight at the Steel Horse, a bar on the border between the territories of the shapeshifters and the necromancers, Kate quickly discovers there’s a new player in town. One who’s been around for thousands of years – and rode to war at the side of Kate’s father.

This foe may be too much even for Kate and Curran, the Beast Lord, to handle. Because this time Kate will be taking on family…
Drafted into working for the Order of Merciful Aid, mercenary Kate Daniels has more paranormal problems than she knows what to do with. And in Atlanta, where magic comes and goes like the tide, that's saying a lot. But when Kate's werewolf friend Derek is discovered nearly dead, she must confront her greatest challenge yet. As her investigation leads her to the Midnight Games---an invitation-only, no-holds-barred, ultimate preternatural fighting tournament---she and Curran, the Beast Lord, uncover a dark plot that may forever alter the face of Atlanta's shapeshifting community.

Drafted into working for the Order of Merciful Aid, Atlanta mercenary Kate Daniels has more paranormal problems than she knows what to do with. But when Kate's werewolf friend Derek is discovered near death, she must confront her greatest challenge yet.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,088,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible