You Never Heard of Sandy Koufax?! by Jonah…

You Never Heard of Sandy Koufax?!

by Jonah Winter

In this striking picture book biography, an old-timer tells us what made Sandy Koufax so amazing. We learn that the beginning of his career with the Brooklyn Dodgers was rocky, that he was shy with his teammates, and experienced discrimination as one of the only Jews in the game. We hear that he actually quit, only to return the next season--different--firing one rocket after another over the plate. We watch him refuse to play in the 1965 World Series because it is a Jewish high holy day. And we see him in pain because of an overused left arm, eventually retiring at the peak of his career. Finally, we are told that people are still "scratchin' their heads over Sandy," who remains a modest hero and a mystery to this day.… (more)

Sandy Koufax is a biography about a left handed, Jewish pitcher for the Los Angeles Dodgers. Sandy was known to throw some wild pitches, and he wasn't always that good to begin with. It took a long time for him to become good. He was also very unpredictable. Eventually, he became one of the best pitchers of all time.

The significance that Sandy Koufax had was becoming the youngest player to ever be elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Koufax realized early on that if he wanted to "keep" his arm, that it was best to retire when he did. He was also been hailed as one of the greatest pitchers of all time. ( )
  JHemstad | Oct 17, 2019 |
I really enjoyed this book. The opening line began with, "you never heard of Sandy Koufax" and that really grabbed my attention because I didn't. I enjoyed learning about his life and where he came from and I gained a lot of new information from it. The story about how terrible he was to how he became great was really amazing. I truly enjoyed this biography. ( )
  arizzo | Nov 25, 2018 |
I liked reminiscing as I read the names of the baseball greats. I learned a little about his personality as well. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
Great overview of the career of Sandy Koufax, who from '61 to '65 dominated baseball! I really liked this quote (from the great Willie Stargell), "Hittin' a Koufaxx fastball was like tryin' to drink coffee with a fork." Brilliant! And the cover of this book is super cool too! Love ya' Blue! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 23, 2016 |
I liked that this biography focused on the struggles that Sandy Koufax went through in becoming a great pitcher, not just on his unstoppable greatness once he hit his stride. It humanizes him a little bit. It also makes the moment when he does emerge as a great pitcher seem that much more impressive. I liked all the statistics that were included and the mini factoids that appeared on a few pages. It's a good biography. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
Ken Marantz and Sylvia Marantz (Children's Literature)
Koufax was “the greatest lefty who ever pitched in the game of baseball.” In a breezy, conversational style, Winter begins his story with Koufax’s youth as “a whiz at every sport he ever played.” Growing up Jewish in Brooklyn, however, he was supposed to be a doctor or lawyer. Invited to pitch for the Dodgers, Koufax proves himself to be unfortunately unpredictable. The Dodgers move to Los Angeles; Koufax leaves, returns, and finally becomes an ace. From 1961-1966, although his elbow swells painfully, he keeps throwing strikes. He becomes a hero to American Jews when he refuses to pitch on a High Holy Day. Then, he surprises everyone by retiring “at the peak of his game.” Winter celebrates Koufax as both a private person and baseball legend. Carrilho uses chiefly black and white colors, accented with some blue and splashes of gold, to illustrate the dramatic events in Koufax’s evolution. The not-completely-naturalistic illustrations were created in graphite on paper with color and texture added in Adobe Photoshop are as anecdotal as the text. For example, the single image of a baseball uniform shirt fills the page facing an illustration of Koufax surrounded by microphones as he announced his retirement. Or we are shown a double-page spread resembling a set of “how-he-does-it” illustrations about his style of pitching, using multiple images and lines representing the path of pitched balls. The lenticular cover is created with a plastic sheet using ridges. Three images are digitally sliced and printed on the sheet, with lenses allowing you to see only one at a time, so they move as the cover is manipulated. Additional facts are included in boxes throughout the text. There is also a glossary and a list of online resources. 2009, Schwartz & Wade/Random House Children’s Books, $17.99. Ages 5 to 9.

added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Ken Marantz and Sylvia Marantz

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,602,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible