The Best School Year Ever (1994)

by Barbara Robinson

Series: The Herdmans (2)

The six horrible Herdmans, the worst kids in the history of the world, cause mayhem throughout the school year.

A funny, creative, and (for me at least) very nostalgic read. The Herdmans cause a lot of trouble but I actually quite like them, particularly Imogen. I know I would much rather spend time with her than Alice Wendlekin.

One thing I don't think I noticed reading as a kid, this book is randomly fatphobic which was not appreciated. ( )
  mutantpudding | Dec 26, 2021 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
Hysterical. I read this to my fifth grade class and they loved it. ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
I read this short, funny, episodic novel with my 12-year-old and we both enjoyed it thoroughly. Taking place over the course of their 6th grade year, the stories focus on the narrator Beth's classmate, Imogene, one of the Herdmans, who "told lies and smoked cigars and set fire to things and hit little kids and cursed and stayed away from school whenever they wanted to and wouldn't learn anything when they were there." In the 6th grade, the teacher assigns "Compliments for Classmates" and, while Beth is assigned to Imogene, the chapters relate the shenanigans and outlawry of the Herdmans, "one of them in each grade." Naturally, despite her canny scheming, Imogene eventually emerges as somewhat admirable ("Nobody else thought of buttering Boyd's head or washing their cat at the laundromat."), challenging Beth to see the good in her--not a bad assignment for any class.

msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |

Barbara Robinsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stritch, ElaineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for my daughters,
Carolyn and Margie,
who brighten all the corners of my life....
 -B.R.
When we studied the Old West, everybody had to do a special report on A Cowboy's Life or Famous Indian Chiefs or Notorious Outlaw Families like the James brothers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,327,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible