Until Thy Wrath Be Past by Åsa Larsson

Until Thy Wrath Be Past (2008)

by Åsa Larsson

Series: Rebecka Martinsson (4)

It is the first thaw of spring and the body of a young woman surfaces in the River Thorne in the far north of Sweden. Rebecka Martinsson is working as a prosecutor in nearby Karuna. Her sleep has been disturbed by haunting visions of a shadowy, accusing figure. Could the body belong to the ghost in her dreams? And where is the dead girl's boyfriend? Joining forces once again with Police Inspectors Anna-Maria Mella, Rebecka is drawn into an investigation that centres on old rumours of a German supply plane that mysteriously disappeared in 1943.… (more)
Recently added bycountrylife, private library, Rjhmzn, Jordi_Camps, miabmi1960, charl08
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: Both have an eye for Swedish nature and society, as well as contemporary history, and they describe human cruelty in its purest form.
    Englebjerget by Thomas Kanger (Kaczencja)

English (35)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  All languages (46)
{Until Thy Wrath be Past] by Asa Larsson
3★'s
Rebecka Martinsson series Book #4

From The Book:
the body of a young woman surfaces in the River Torne, in the far north of Sweden. Meanwhile, Rebecka Martinsson is working as a prosecutor in nearby Kiruna. Her sleep has been disturbed by haunting visions of a shadowy, accusing figure. Could the body be connected to the ghostly young woman in her dreams? Joining forces once again with Police Inspector Anna-Maria Mella, Rebecka is drawn into a murder and missing-person investigation that becomes entangled with old rumors of a German supply plane that mysteriously disappeared in 1943. Shame and secrecy shroud the locals' memories of the war, with Sweden's early collaboration with the Nazis still a raw wound. And on the windswept shore of a frozen lake lurks a faceless killer determined to keep the past buried forever beneath half a century's silent ice and snow.

My Thoughts:
This is a mystery novel with a not too complex story line, time shifting from the WWII, to the present day, to the spirit world. Parts of the story are told by the spirit of the young diver left to drown under the ice along with her boyfriend. A word of Warning The story was very interesting...hence the 3 stars...but the author seems to have a penchant to include horrific animal abuse in her stories. some people won't mind. I do. I don't think I'll be reading another one. ( )
  Carol420 | Aug 8, 2016 |
A very good read, a little different from your average Scandinavian thriller and all the better for it.
My only regret is reading it out of sequence (which I never normally do) and having spoilers for the previous two book in the series. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
Wow, this installment of the Rebeckah Martinsson series starts out with one of the most claustrophobic, scary murders I've ever come across in a mystery. It makes for a very compelling start, and Larsson gets back to her trademark tight narration here. The various threads of the plot come together in a very satisfying way, and there's an especially interesting backstory here about Sweden's role in WWII. Hurrah! ( )
  rvhatha | Mar 13, 2015 |
Read this while ill - which was great as it kept my interest and the print was very large! But did not resonate with me the way the other books have done. The ghost allows the author to show the players in the drama from the inside - but feels a bit clumsy, perhaps because ghosts do not resonate with my own world view. Nice to spend a day with the regular characters, who are all old friends - Anna-Maria Mella and Stalnacke in the police, Sivving Fjallborg her neighbour, a new friend and dog handler Krister Eriksson and herself, Rebecca Martinsson. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
Kindle
LT review:
A young couple, who are diving in a frigid lake to explore the possibility that there is a downed WWII plane on the bottom, are deliberately prevented from surfacing through the ice hole and both drown. At first thought to be a tragic accident, small clues lead the police to start thinking this may have been a murder. Rebecka Martinsson is now prosecutor in her home district and she joins the local police (who we have come to know in the previous books) to investigate. This particular installment leans a bit more towards the thriller subgenre, culminating in a very well done chase and survival scene (I'm not giving any hints).

Very good. A little woo-woo with Wilma's ghost as occasional narrator, but not annoying. Good characters and writing.

Read 5/14 ( )
  walkerff | May 25, 2014 |

Åsa Larssonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thompson, LaurieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave,

that thou wouldest keep me secret, until they wrath be past,

that thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me!

If a man die, shall he live again?

All the days of my appointed time will I wait,

till my change come.

Thou shalt call,

and I will answer thee:

thou wilt have a desire to the work of thy hands.

For now thou numberest my steps:

dost thou not watch over my sin?

My transgression is sealed up in a bag,

and thou sewest up mine iniquity.

And surely the mountain falling cometh to nought,

and the rock is moved out of his place.

The waters wear the stones:

thou washest away the things which grow out of the dust of the earth;

and thou destroyest the hope of man.

Thou prevailest for ever against him, and he passeth:

thou changest his countenance and sendest him away.

His sons come to honour, and he knoweth it not;

and they are brought low, but he perceiveth it not of them.

But his flesh upon him shall have pain,

and his soul within him shall mourn.

- Job 14:13-22
I remember how we died.

As spring arrives in the far north of Sweden, a young woman's body surfaces through the breaking ice of the River Thorne. At the same time, visions of a shadowy figure haunt the dreams of Rebecka Martinsson, a prosecutor in nearby Karuna. Could the body belong to the ghost in her dreams? And where is the dead girl's boyfriend?
Joining forces once again with Police Inspector Anna-Maria Mella, Rebecka finds herself drawn into an investigation that stirs up long-dormant rumors of a German supply plane that went missing in 1943—and of Nazi collaborators in the town, where shame and secrecy shroud the locals' memories of the war.
And on the windswept shore of a frozen lake lurks a murderer who will kill again to keep the past buried forever beneath half a century's silent ice and snow.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Åsa Larsson's book Until Thy Wrath Be Past was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,757,053 books! | Top bar: Always visible