Ramona and Her Mother by Beverly Cleary

Ramona and Her Mother (1979)

by Beverly Cleary

Series: Ramona Quimby (5)

This is the best of the Ramona series so far.
Like others in the series, it is episodic, with some chapters laugh out loud funny (the toothpaste episode being the funniest). Cleary paints a believable happy family, in which there is not always perfect harmony, between sisters, between children and parents, or between the two parents themselves. But there is never a doubt in the reader's mind that it is a happy loving family. ( )
  fingerpost | Jan 8, 2019 |
Sometimes it seems like Ramona Quimby's older sister, Beezus, gets all the attention and privileges in the family. In fact, Mrs. Quimby lets neighbors and friends know she couldn't get along without Beezus, and Ramona feels left out. Yet, a drastic decision Ramona makes will remind her just how her mother feels about her in Ramona and Her Mother by Beverly Cleary.

What a pleasure to revisit one of my favorites in the Ramona series. (What a double-pleasure to have obtained a copy that even smells like the one I read all those years ago. Oh yes indeed.) Cleary has such an understanding of life through the eyes of a seven-and-a-half-year-old, showing how much those childhood matters matter. Reading chapter books! Feeling carsick. New pajamas! Mom and Dad have a spat. And, yes—practicing one's cursive handwriting!

There are dashes of humor that got laughter out of me. But the story (and the Ramona series altogether) doesn't avoid real-life situations that friends and families can find themselves in. And, gee, much like when I recently reread Ramona and Her Father, being able now to understand this story on a greater level from both an adult's and a child's point of view makes it all the more touching.

Sure, I may be growing even more sensitive in my adult years, but if a children's book ever got a tear out of me toward the end, this one did. I blame the wonderful illustration that accompanies the scene!

Let's see now, I've got two more Ramona books to revisit, and the newer one I've not read before... ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Jun 10, 2017 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Mar 6, 2017 |
We liked this one better than Ramona and Her Father. Ramona is still trying to grow up and deal with her emotions. Her father's unemployment has ended, but that doesn't make her family's problems go away. He doesn't like his new job, and that makes things tense again. Ramona is also still misunderstood with more funny consequences. But in the end, she learns that her mother does love her. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |

Beverly Clearyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bustelo, GabrielaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Channing, StockardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dockray, TracyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiegreen, AlanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 038070952X, Paperback)

At 7 and a half, with working parents and a sister at "a difficult age," Ramona Quimby tries hard to do her part to keep family peace. Usually, however, she ends up behind every uproarious incident in the house. Whether she's dying herself blue, watching while her young neighbor flings Kleenex around the house, or wearing her soft new pajamas to school one day (under her clothes, of course), Ramona's life is never dull. Through it all, she is struggling for a place in her mother's heart, worried that she might be unlovable. Not a chance. Ramona Quimby is nothing if not lovable.

Beverly Cleary's gift for understanding the tangle of thoughts and emotions in a child's mind and heart is remarkable. Luckily, in addition to being empathic, witty, and astute, Cleary is also prolific. She has created over two dozen children's books, and been presented with many awards, including the Newbery Medal for Dear Mr. Henshaw, as well as the Newbery Honor for Ramona and Her Father and for Ramona Quimby, Age 8. (Ages 8 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:13 -0400)

Ramona at 7 1/2 sometimes feels discriminated against by being the youngest in the family.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,182,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible