The Terminal Experiment by Robert J. Sawyer

The Terminal Experiment (1995)

by Robert J. Sawyer

English (10)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (13)
Después de un libro largo y denso, lo mejor es leer algo de Robert J. Sawyer. Experimentó terminal es de lectura rápida, sin embargo bajo la aparentemente liviana superficie cuenta con temas muy elaborados y que dan bastante más de si que lo que dura la lectura del libro ( )
  maxtrek | Jan 30, 2019 |
The Terminal Experiment

I have yet to read a bad Robert J. Sawyer tale! True, I have not read a lot of them – the WWW trilogy, Flashforward, Mindscan – yet the flavor of these later stories pretty much began with his first Nebula award-winning novel, The Terminal Experiment.

As the author explained in his preface, he wrote this in the 1990s during the infancy of the Internet and the World Wide Web and did not want to update the story, yet this does not majorly affect the relevancy of the story nor the cool entertainment value!

First Impressions: I was impressed with Peter Hobson, a man who had it all – a great wife Cathy, who he dated since school, a great job and a best friend – a Hindu scientist whom he dearly trusted – and whose world comes crashing down!

No spoilers here, but Peter’s scientific mind works to solve a major personal crisis – he first of all discovers through his research what appears to be the human soul – he creates a device called the Soul Wave Monitor that can spot it near the moment of death.

What’s cool about this is Sawyer’s involvement in seeing how a world would respond to a scientific proof of the human soul, the religious and personal implications are amazing.

What’s disappointing is that the author did not play this up very much. It fell to a subplot! His focus was on the personalities of Peter Hobson – who has his brain copied and downloaded! These personalities escape into the World Wide Web with disastrous consequences!

Also the story is very “Canadian-centric.” I spent some little time looking up the places and events of Toronto during the story!

Bottom Line: You can see remnants of this kind of Web tale in his later WWW trilogy. Here, we see a peak of “our” future through the eyes of 1990s science (I like the idea of printing out your newspaper at a newsstand and his prediction of electronic readers), the moral implications of his soul detector and wraps up the story nicely in the never-ending saga of affairs of the heart, jealousies and tragedies as he searches for an answer to his life as it crashes around him!

Not Sawyer’s best novel, but an easy read that will get you thinking. Recommended.

James_Mourgos | Dec 22, 2016 |
Finished July 4 2016. Terrible.
  davidsdunbar | Jul 5, 2016 |
After a scientist discovers the 'soul' leaving the body at the time of death and while investigating this he creates multiple electronic simulations of himself, the things beginning to go awry... ( )
  TheCrow2 | May 10, 2015 |
The Terminal Experiment

jmourgos | Sep 12, 2014 |
In the last analysis, it is our conception of death which decides our answers to all the questions life puts to us.
- Dag Hammarskjold (1905-1961), United Nations Secretary General
For Ted Bleaney with thanks for twenty years of friendship
"What room is Detective Philo in?" asked Peter Hobson, a tall, thin man of forty-two, with hair an equal mixture of black and gray.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061053104, Hardcover)

The Terminal Experiment has propelled Robert J. Sawyer into the limelight as one of science fiction's hot new writers, earning him the prestigious Nebula Award in the process. In this fast-paced thriller, Dr. Peter Hobson's investigations into death and afterlife lead him to create three separate electronic versions of himself: one has no memory of physical existence and represents life after death; one has no knowledge of death or aging and represents immortality; and the third is left unaltered as a control. But all three have escaped into the worldwide matrix...and one of them is a killer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:31 -0400)

Dr. Peter Hobson has created a monster, three of them in fact, trying to test the theories of immortality and life after death.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,655,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible