Stuart Little (1945)

by E. B. White

The adventures of the debonair mouse Stuart Little as he sets out in the world to seek out his dearest friend, a little bird who stayed a few days in his family's garden.
    The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary (cmbohn)
    Half Empty by David Rakoff (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: One of the essays discusses the author's identification with Stuart Little as a child

This could be a first edition.
  RobertStrelow | Jun 22, 2022 |
After we finished Mr. Popper's Penguins, I thought to read Stuart Little to my grandson. He wasn't getting into it, so we switched to Charlotte's Web. But, I decided I wanted to finish up Stuart Little, and so I have.

Stuart Little was born to a "normal" family, but he came out small and very mouse like. Still they loved him and Stuart thrived. At some point they took in a bird named Margalo. Then one day, Margalo disappeared and Stuart went off in search of her. He had a small motor car and decided to head north.

I found it rather a cute little book. I'm not sure what it was that didn't capture Anderson's fancy.
  lgpiper | Jun 12, 2022 |
Why does a mouse have a gun?! ( )
  mutantpudding | Jun 6, 2022 |
I read this book because my mother was the musical director for this play at the Wilmington Drama League. She and I both wanted to see how it differed from the musical and it was rather spot on. Honestly, this book was a cute read, but I felt like it was rather rushed in the second half of the book and the ending wasn't well rounded. I feel like there could have been a lot more to this book. ( )
  klcarmack | Nov 12, 2021 |
This is the story of a family whose child is, inexplicably, a mouse. He is almost murdered by a cat, and develops an unhealthy obsession with a bird. He also self sabotages a date with a woman who is two inches tall.

The ending involves advice from a telephone repair man and includes a somewhat sudden cliffhanger.

There are also an inordinate number of tiny boats involved, which always takes me out of the narrative. ( )
  Joe901 | Nov 2, 2021 |

White, E. B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wells, RosemaryIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bomans, GodfriedTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JulieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heesen, HansTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When Mrs. Frederick C. Little's second son arrived, everyone noticed that he was not much bigger than a mouse.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,774,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible