Small Packages (Shaken series) (2009)

by KG MacGregor

Series: Shaken (3)

Anna and Lily Kaklis face questions about family and future when a homeless woman is killed in San Francisco, leaving a three-year-old who happens to be Lily's nephew in foster care.

Very different from the online version. Enjoyed it but since I was reading all 4 books back to back, I was getting a little burned out by this time...

**Reread completed. I think I liked it more this time than the last.

7/19/14 - another reread. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
I have to say that when I finished this book the worst part of finishing it was the fact that I had mostly caught up on the KG MacGregor stories (or at least the ones at that point, thankfully since then I've fallen behind in my reading of her books again).

The novel was a very good third part to the Shaken Series. It wasn't a twisty, dark, intense novel, but a nice, calming, fast and very enjoyable read. Like some whipped cream on top of the Shaken series. You don't have to have whipped cream on ice cream to make it good, but it makes it infinitely better if you do.

As usual the characterizations of the new characters were great and unique to each character, there were no cookie cutter characters in the book, and the story itself flowed well, as life does. Her characterization of the boy Andres is also one of the best kids I've seen written in a while.

The whole series is a must read, as are all MacGregor's books. ( )
  DanieXJ | Apr 30, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

Shaken (3)
To the lesbian families who welcome children into their homes.
Lily slid through the warm churning water, coming to rest on Anna's lap. This was her favorite way to kick off the weekend, a Friday night soak in the hot tub, especially on the cool nights of early autumn. Tonight was a special occasion, the second anniversary of her sobriety. They had celebrated earlier with dinner at Empyre's with Anna's sister Kim, her husband Hal and two-year-old Jonah.

In Without Warning, they fell in love. In Aftershock, that love was tested and reaffirmed. Now Anna and Lily Kaklis face questions about family and future when a homeless woman is killed in San Francisco, leaving a four-year-old who happens to be Lily’s nephew in foster care. Lily will not allow her birth mother to ruin another childhood, so she puts her skills as a family law attorney to work. She can’t speak up for what she really wants—to adopt him for herself—not when Anna is clearly terrified at the prospect of raising a child. Anna is happy to let Lily do the temporary parenting necessary until a suitable adoption placement can be found. It won’t last long, and then their lives will go back to normal. At least that was the plan, then Lily is called away. Anna finds herself alone with her worst nightmare: a toddler.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,392,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible