HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Carpe Corpus

by Rachel Caine

Series: Morganville Vampires (6)

"In the small college town of Morganville, vampires and humans lived in (relative) peace until all the rules got rewritten when the evil vampire Bishop arrived, looking for the lost book of vampire secrets. He's kept a death grip on the town ever since. Now an underground resistance is brewing, and in order to contain it, Bishop must go to even greater lengths. He vows to obliterate the town and all its inhabitants the living and the undead. Claire Danvers and her friends are the only ones who stand in his way. But even if they defeat Bishop, will the vampires ever be content to go back to the old rules, after having such a taste of power?"--Publishers description.… (more)
    Fade Out by Rachel Caine (Pedrolina)
    Pedrolina: Fade Out is the next book in the series after Carpe Corpus

I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler-free way. Unfortunately, there is still always a risk of slight spoilers despite my best efforts. If you feel something in my review is a spoiler please let me know. Thank you.

Another wonderful addition to the series. This one wraps up a few issues from previous books, so where the book goes from here is anyone's guess, but I'm sure it will be great. I wish I could remember how old Myrnin is supposed to be physically. Cause I'm feeling chemistry there between him and Claire but knowing this information would really help here.

That ending though. I was not prepared for that loss. It was heartbreaking. I can't wait to see what happens next. ( )
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
A very worthy and satisfying climax novel for the current chain of events happening in Morganville.

As climax novels are supposed to do, "Carpe Corpus" brought a lot of things to a head, weaving all kinds of suspenseful and long-awaited moments into the plot. I don't want to spoil, but there are big things happening in terms of death (I was very saddened by the death at the end), relationships (finally *wink*), and struggles for the freedom of Morganville. Vampires and humans band together to oust Bishop's evil reign, but not without immense cost and a lot of moments where you're holding your breath.

I love how the author keeps us guessing; right down to the wire there are plot twists, questions about who's on which side, and outcomes different than what you'd expect. The characters remain one of the most enjoyable factors of the series; Caine portrays the Glass House-mates' banter and relationships extremely well. Her minor characters also shine, as I've mentioned in reviews past; Myrnin, Amelie, Hannah, and many others. And Claire is a good, strong heroine who falls into very few of the "teenage female hero" character traps; she thinks and acts for herself, stands up to both good and bad guys in awesome ways, retains a powerful sense of right and wrong as well as a core of empathy, and yet still shows realistic weaknesses, fears, and hesitancy.

This particular conflict may have ended here, but I can't wait to see what else Caine has in store for Morganville in her next novels. ( )
  booksong | Mar 18, 2020 |
3.5 stars

Carpe Corpus was a decent read. It tied up a lot of loose ends from previous books. I look forward to the next addition of this series. ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
First book I've read of the series, didn't take too long to understand and catch up with what I missed. ( )
  KarinaKantas | Apr 20, 2018 |
So, i freakin love this series. In my opinion they top just about every vampire series out there.
That said, i realise that this book came out about two months ago. I know... i know because i bought it the day it came out.
It's not that it took me two months to read a 200 page book. It's just that if i own a book i do not read it. I don't know why. And it bugs me. But it's the sad truth.
That said, this was, of course, excellent. It was probably the first Morganville book i've read that had an ending that didn't make me want to toss the book across the room (darn.. i actually own this one so i could toss it if i needed too!) So, there's a plus people, it ends well for once!
This one picks up right where 'Lords of Misrule' left off (and it will be so embarrassing if i'm wrong...)
Mr. Bishop has complete control. Both Claire and Michael are his errand boys (... girl in Claire's case.) Shane ad his dad are in prison. Amilie's MIA, and it's all looking pretty much completely hopeless.
Which, you know, i love! Bring on the hopelessness!
There's always a highlighted character for me in books and usually in this series it's Michael and Eve (cause they're probably my favorites. ever.) but i have to say Myrnin was my favorite in this one =D
He's just so awesome! Gotta love a completely insane vampire!
Aaaanyway, i'm way excited for the next book in the series Fade Out. I'll totally buy it... (And read it!!!!.... >.>) I really wish i could read Rachel Caine's other series, the Weather Warden series but i can't find the first one anywhere = .... ohh well, i'm content with Morganville =D
5/5 Stars, as deserved. Really i can't think of a single thing wrong with it. Oh, and favorite line?
"Now, now," he chided her. "Where's your sense of adventure?"
"Off on a beach somewhere with your sanity?..." ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |

Rachel Caineprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holloway, CynthiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Claire," Bishop said. He didn't sound pleased. "Did I summon you?"

In the small town of Morganville, vampires and humans lived in (relative) peace - until all the rules got rewritten when the evil vampire Bishop arrived, looking for the lost book of vampire secrets. He's kept a death grip on the town ever since. Now an underground resistance is brewing, and in order to contain it, Bishop must go to even greater lengths.

He vows to obliterate the town and all its inhabitants - the living and the undead. Claire Danvers and her friends are the only ones who stand in his way. But even if they defeat Bishop, will the vampires ever be content to go back to the old rules, after having had such a taste of power?

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,946,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible