Bark, George and More Doggie Tails by Jules…

Bark, George and More Doggie Tails

by Jules Feiffer

712None13,228 (4.24)14
animal noises (6) animal sounds (44) animals (78) children (10) children's (22) dog (27) dogs (110) Easy (7) fantasy (8) farm animals (10) fiction (28) funny (13) hardcover (7) humor (42) humorous (7) mothers (7) pets (35) picture book (98) pigs (6) preschool (20) puppies (6) read (8) read aloud (15) repetition (11) silly (9) sounds (17) storytime (18) toddler (13) vet (6) veterinarians (11)

In my opinion, this is good picture book. The book uses a lot of repetition, and it makes it an easy read. For example, “Bark, George. George went: “Meow.” “No George,” said George’s mother. “Cats go meow. Dogs go arf. Now, bark, George.” I like the language in this book, and the reoccurrence of onomatopoeias, “quack-quack,” “meow.” It makes reading it aloud fun. I also thought the illustrations were great. Even though the majority of pictures only contained George and his mother, the facial expressions given to the dogs are hilarious, and fit the storyline perfectly. I do not think there is a central message to this book. ( )
  kjacks26 | Mar 30, 2014 |
The expressions, they slay me. George: amiable, a little confused, but obliging. George's mother: aggravated, ashamed, bowled over with surprise. The vet: taken aback but prepared to deal with the situation. Impossible to read just once! An instant favorite. ( )
  JennyArch | Mar 18, 2014 |
George's mother wants him to bark like a dog, but try as he may he just keepsproducing other animal noises. George's mom takes him to the vet to get to the bottom of it, but they are in for a big surprise. This book made me smile and the ending made me laugh out loud. I would use this book as a mentor text for repetition. ( )
  asweet2 | Mar 8, 2014 |
This story is about a dog who does not comply with the typical dog noises his mother is trying to provoke. He emulates other animals instead of dogs. I enjoyed the comedy in this book. I feel this would be beneficial for preschool children. They will enjoy George's contrary nature and will likely understand the jokes. The pictures clearly show the characters' frustration and the use of perspective in art. In the end, George says "hello."
  CassieP10 | Nov 29, 2013 |
This is a great book to read to preschool children. Gets them to know the sounds animals make.
  dsbge | Nov 17, 2013 |
George's mother said: "Bark, George."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0062051857, Hardcover)

When George's mother tells her son to bark, he meows. She patiently explains that "Cats go meow. Dogs go arf. Now, bark, George." But he quacks! Then oinks. Then moos. Becoming less patient and more exasperated, George's mom takes him to the vet, who reaches deep down inside the errant pup, and, much to everyone's surprise, pulls out a cat! Then a duck, a pig, and finally a cow. George is cured, and barks at last! On the way home, his proud mother wants to show off her convincingly doglike son to everyone on the street. But when she says, "Bark, George," he simply says, "Hello." This is the simplest offering yet from Jules Feiffer--creator of the delightful picture books Meanwhile and I Lost My Bear. Still, his cartoonish drawings are intensely expressive, alive, and hilarious. None of it will be lost on the youngest of readers who will giggle every time George fails to bark, every time the vet extracts a new animal, and at the final punchline, too. In a world of often overdone or underdone picture books, this fine Feiffer creation is just right. (Click to see a sample spread. Copyright 1999 by Jules Feiffer. Permission by HarperCollins Publishers.) (Ages 2 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:23 -0400)

George is a puppy who does not sound like a puppy should, despite the efforts of his mother.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,446,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible