Bark, George by Jules Feiffer

Bark, George (1999)

by Jules Feiffer

English (51)  Italian (1)  All languages (52)
I was very disappointed in the language of this book: "Cats go meow," and "George went meow." I am fighting against this ungrammatical usage of the words, "go" and "went" constantly. I can't believe the editor let this slip, especially to a target audience of children who are learning to read and write. ( )
  jeangabrielle | Mar 13, 2016 |
  jeangabrielle | Mar 13, 2016 |
George the dog can't bark, instead he is making different sounds. It's a very funny book that children will love to hear over and over. Great for young children who have animals. This book has a funny twist at the end. It is a great picture book. ( )
  tflores15 | Mar 6, 2016 |
This is a super fun book to read aloud. The illustrations are hilarious, especially of George's mother, and George's antics will bring a smile to your face. ( )
  KEFeeney | Dec 6, 2015 |
  KEFeeney | Dec 6, 2015 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0062051857, Hardcover)

When George's mother tells her son to bark, he meows. She patiently explains that "Cats go meow. Dogs go arf. Now, bark, George." But he quacks! Then oinks. Then moos. Becoming less patient and more exasperated, George's mom takes him to the vet, who reaches deep down inside the errant pup, and, much to everyone's surprise, pulls out a cat! Then a duck, a pig, and finally a cow. George is cured, and barks at last! On the way home, his proud mother wants to show off her convincingly doglike son to everyone on the street. But when she says, "Bark, George," he simply says, "Hello." This is the simplest offering yet from Jules Feiffer--creator of the delightful picture books Meanwhile and I Lost My Bear. Still, his cartoonish drawings are intensely expressive, alive, and hilarious. None of it will be lost on the youngest of readers who will giggle every time George fails to bark, every time the vet extracts a new animal, and at the final punchline, too. In a world of often overdone or underdone picture books, this fine Feiffer creation is just right. (Click to see a sample spread. Copyright 1999 by Jules Feiffer. Permission by HarperCollins Publishers.) (Ages 2 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:04 -0400)

George is a puppy who does not sound like a puppy should, despite the efforts of his mother.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,135,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible