Up in the Old Hotel by Joseph Mitchell

Up in the Old Hotel (1992)

by Joseph Mitchell

Saloon-keepers and street preachers, gypsies and steel-walking Mohawks, a bearded lady and a 93-year-old “seafoodetarian” who believes his specialized diet will keep him alive for another two decades. These are among the people that Joseph Mitchell immortalized in his reportage for The New Yorker and in four books—McSorley's Wonderful Saloon, Old Mr. Flood, The Bottom of the Harbor, and Joe Gould's Secret—that are still renowned for their precise, respectful observation, their graveyard humor, and their offhand perfection of style.These masterpieces (along with several previously uncollected stories) are available in one volume, which presents an indelible collective portrait of an unsuspected New York and its odder citizens—as depicted by one of the great writers of this or any other time.
  Cultural_Attache | Jul 18, 2018 |
Originally published in New Yorker, tales of people and places in and near NY. Fascinating information about the fishing industry in the 30s and 40s
  ritaer | Mar 21, 2018 |
Undoubtedly one of the finest books I have ever read. Joseph Mitchell is one of the greatest if not greatest American literary journalists of the 20th century, and probably all-time. On the surface it's written in the genre of human interest stories for the New Yorker. The subjects are old bars, wharfs, watermen and street people around New York mostly in the 1930s and 1940s. There is a mixture of anthropology and lyricism to it like Dickens and Zola. The test is in how well does it re-read - two stories I had read about a year ago and on re-reading them again it was a new experience. The detail is so dense and finely woven, it's impossible not to keep finding treasures in the same text. Despite the length I can't wait to read this again someday. My love for this book probably is not hurt by my grandfather who was a boatman in and around the New York harbour in the 1940s and 50s. Through Mitchell I got a taste of his time and world which is a great gift. ( )
2 vote Stbalbach | Oct 27, 2016 |
I've read this book many times over. It just never gets old. Mitchell's nonfiction reads like good fiction, and his profiles of the bums, outcasts, and miscreants of New York are poignant and heartbreaking and sometimes exalting. Ironically, his attempts at fiction fall short of his profiles, but they still retain the same graveyard humor. This is one book not to be missed. ( )
1 vote stacy_chambers | Aug 22, 2013 |
Savoring these essays a bit at a time.
  ljhliesl | May 21, 2013 |
"In case you haven’t read Mitchell’s work, his Gould essays, along with his other great work from the New Yorker about New York, are collected in Up In the Old Hotel. I couldn’t recommend it more highly; in fact, I think it might be my favorite book of all time."
added by jodi | editChronicle Vitae, Jonathan Rees (Jul 21, 2016)

For Sheila McGrath

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679746315, Paperback)

Journalist Joseph Mitchell, whose death in in May 1996 at the age of 87 merited a half-page obituary in the New York Times, pioneered a style of journalism while crafting brilliant magazine pieces for the New Yorker from the 1930s to the early 1960s. Up in the Old Hotel, a collection of his best reporting, is a 700-page joy to read.

Mitchell lovingly chronicled the lives of odd New York characters. In the pages of Up In the Old Hotel, the reader passes through places such as McSorley's Old Ale House or the Fulton Fish Market that many observers might have found ordinary. But when experienced through Mitchell's gifted eye, the reader will see that these haunts of old New York possess poetry, beauty, and meaning.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:15 -0400)

"Mitchell is the laureate of old New York, the hidden cornors of the city and the people who lived there are his subject. He captured the waterfront rooming house, nickel-a-drink saloons, all night reswtaurants, the 'visionaries, obsessives, imposters, fanatics, lost souls, the-end-is-near street preachers, old Gypsy Kings and old Gypsy Queens, and out-and-out freak-show freaks'. Mitchell's trademark curiosity, coutesy and graveyard humour fuel these magical works of reportage." --Back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,027,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible