The Austere Academy (2000)

by Lemony Snicket

Other authors: Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)

Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events (5)

9,30199618 (3.79)44
As their outrageous misfortune continues, the Baudelaire orphans are shipped off to a miserable boarding school, where they befriend the two Quagmire triplets and find that they have been followed by the dreaded Count Olaf.

English (94)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (96)
Finally, a new pair of good guy characters without the same tired character traits. I liked the twins who were actually triplets minus one. The rest of the characters were annoying. The story was long and reminiscent of the last story in the series. The most unfortunate thing that I've realized about this series is that there are 13 of these, all bestsellers, and I've only enjoyed one of them so far. That's not a great success rate. I keep reading however, though I don't expect it to get any better. Call it a penchant for misery. ( )
  matthewbloome | Jun 20, 2021 |
I like the idea of a series of unfortunate events unfolding over a collection of 13 books of 13 chapters apiece, but the books are beginning to be a bit one-note. I'm still enjoying the voice and the asides and the very thin but still compelling Beatrice subplot and of course the sometimes charmingly refracted pedantry, but I wouldn't mind a little reworking of the formula as I begin to head toward the midpoint of the series. The introduction of the Quagmire triplets was nice. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |
I've been reading this series as bedtime stories with Milly, although I did have to go back and read a few myself that she had raced through, unable to wait for me to read them to her at the pace of one chapter a night. They are genuinely brilliant books, funny and dark, mysterious and absurd.

By now we know Snicket's schtick, and the books have settled into a routine. This time the orphans are sent to a boarding school. The idea of Sunny working as a secretary because she is too young for school was one of my favourite ongoing jokes throughout this book. Count Olaf naturally is still dreadful, and still getting away with half arsed disguises because every adult in these books is either a villain or an idiot. Marvellous stuff. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Dec 6, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kupperman, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- You will always be in my heart, in my mind, and in your grave.
If you were going to give a gold medal to the least delightful person on Earth, you would have to give that medal to a person named Carmelita Spats, and if you didn't give it to her, Carmelita Spats was the sort of person who would snatch it from your hands anyway.
If you have walked into a museum recently --- whether you did so to attend an art exhibition or to escape from the police --- you may have noticed a type of painting known as a triptych.
Assumptions are dangerous things to make, and like all dangerous things to make -- bombs, for instance, or strawberry shortcake -- if you make even the tiniest mistake you can find yourself in terrible trouble. Making assumptions simply means believing things are a certain way with little or no evidence that shows you are correct, and you can see at once how this can lead to terrible trouble.
There is no worse sound in the world than someone who cannot play the violin but insists on doing so anyway.
Mr. Poe meant well, but a jar of mustard probably also means well and would do a better job of keeping the Baudelaires out of danger.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,293,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible