The Hostile Hospital (2001)

by Lemony Snicket

Other authors: Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events (8)

On the run after being falsely accused of murder, the three Baudelaire orphans find themselves in the Heimlich Hospital, with the evil Count Olaf in close pursuit.

English (72)  Spanish (1)  All languages (73)
This is my least favorite ( )
  Tratiezone | Nov 8, 2022 |
Book 8 of 13 of the phenomenal series: Series of Unfortunate Events!

Please Read my review of the series here, as my review applies to every book in the series. https://www.librarything.com/work/1748/reviews/227861550 ( )
  am08279 | Oct 23, 2022 |
i liked this one the best since the first one. things are starting to get a whole lot more interesting, and there are secret plots, and underground archives, and secret organizations; and there is social satire, and ruminations on the nature of good and evil, and bittersweet sibling interactions. also, sunny's starting to speak actual words, which feels like the most substantial character development ever.

i can't believe i still have 5 to go, but these have finally fully broken out of the formulaic repetition of the first four or so.

i'm sick, so i have a nagging suspicion that none of these sentences actually make sense, and it took me a really long time to give up trying to remember "formulaic" and look it up. back to reading young adult novels for me. ( )
  J.Flux | Aug 13, 2022 |
Trigger Warnings:
Fire, Knives, sedation, attempted decapitation

This is one of my favourites in the series, it's dark and creepy and would probably terrify little kids.
It's so eerie and one of the darkest of the series if not the darkest.
This book is where a fourteen-year-old girl is drugged so they can chop her head off.
Yes, you read that sentence correctly.

I love Hal, a sweet misguided fellow and Esme with her ridiculous shoes.
I want to go visit The Library of Records and read the snicket file.
Is that what I should ask Santa for Christmas? ( )
  crazynerd | Mar 30, 2022 |
Summary:

Excerpt/First Sentence(s):
There are two reasons why a writer would end a sentence with the word "stop" written entirely in capital letters STOP.

Publisher Description:
Dear Reader,

Before you throw this awful book to the ground and run as far away from it as possible, you should probably know why. This book is the only one which describes every last detail of the Baudelaire children's miserable stay at Heimlich Hospital, which makes it one of the most dreadful books in the world.

There are many pleasant things to read about, but this books contains none of them. Within its pages are such burdensome details as misleading newspaper headlines, unnecessary surgery, an intercom system, anesthesia, heart-shaped balloons, and some very startling news about such things.

I have sworn to research this story, and to write it down as best I can, so I should know that this book is something best left on the ground, where you undoubtedly found it.

With all due respect,

Daniele, V.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Helanen-Ahtola, Marja(KÄÄnt.)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kozak, JolantaTł.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vassallo, Rose-MarieTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice — Summer without you is as cold as winter. Winter without you is even colder.

As I read more of this series, I became more and more sorry for the Baudelaire Triplets. Everywhere they go, they would have to get haunted down by Count Olaf, and his stupid assistants! Well, at least they had some success in this book, they had burned down the hopital, but they still didn't capture that nasty old Count Olaf! I think that Count Olaf has been becoming more and more cruel as the book gets further and further. So far, this was the best successfully ending they ever had, well at least in my opinion. But I hope the author could make them have a happily ever ending, beause they had already suffered through a lot of events. Can't wait to read the next book!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,942,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible