The Hostile Hospital (2001)

by Lemony Snicket

Other authors: Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events (8)

On the run after being falsely accused of murder, the three Baudelaire orphans find themselves in the Heimlich Hospital, with the evil Count Olaf in close pursuit.

English (68)  Spanish (1)  All languages (69)
Summary:

Excerpt/First Sentence(s):
There are two reasons why a writer would end a sentence with the word "stop" written entirely in capital letters STOP.

Publisher Description:
Dear Reader,

Before you throw this awful book to the ground and run as far away from it as possible, you should probably know why. This book is the only one which describes every last detail of the Baudelaire children's miserable stay at Heimlich Hospital, which makes it one of the most dreadful books in the world.

There are many pleasant things to read about, but this books contains none of them. Within its pages are such burdensome details as misleading newspaper headlines, unnecessary surgery, an intercom system, anesthesia, heart-shaped balloons, and some very startling news about such things.

I have sworn to research this story, and to write it down as best I can, so I should know that this book is something best left on the ground, where you undoubtedly found it.

With all due respect,
Lemony Snicket
  stwombly | May 25, 2021 |
I've been reading this series as bedtime stories with Milly, although I did have to go back and read a few myself that she had raced through, unable to wait for me to read them to her at the pace of one chapter a night. They are genuinely brilliant books, funny and dark, mysterious and absurd.

I can't remember much specific about this one though. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Dec 6, 2020 |
This book was one of my favorite books in this series. The amount of suspense and mystery, specifically caught my attention! ( )
  rhison | Oct 23, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice — Summer without you is as cold as winter. Winter without you is even colder.

As I read more of this series, I became more and more sorry for the Baudelaire Triplets. Everywhere they go, they would have to get haunted down by Count Olaf, and his stupid assistants! Well, at least they had some success in this book, they had burned down the hopital, but they still didn't capture that nasty old Count Olaf! I think that Count Olaf has been becoming more and more cruel as the book gets further and further. So far, this was the best successfully ending they ever had, well at least in my opinion. But I hope the author could make them have a happily ever ending, beause they had already suffered through a lot of events. Can't wait to read the next book!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,632,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible