Violin by Anne Rice

Violin (1997)

by Anne Rice

English (17)  Swedish (1)  All languages (18)
Anne Rice's Violin tells the story of two charismatic figures bound to each other by a passionate commitment to music as a means of rapture, seduction, and liberation. At the novel's center: a uniquely fascinating woman, Triana, and the demonic fiddler Stefan, a tormented ghost who begins to prey upon her, using his magic violin to draw her into a state of madness. But Triana sets out to resist Stefan, and the struggle thrusts them both into a terrifying supernatural realm. Violin flows abundant with the history, the drama, and the romantic intensity that have become synonymous with Anne Rice at her incomparable best.
  Cultural_Attache | Jul 27, 2018 |
Now I really get the fascination and sensuality of Anne Rice's novels. The novel opens with the protagonist, Triana, absorbing herself in the music of the masters after her husband, Karl's, death in their home in New Orleans. Serenading her outside her window as the relatives come into her cave of loneliness is a long-haired, sensuous musician, Stefan. Stefan's story begins to come out in bits and pieces and forms the second third of the novel. We learn about the many deaths in Triana's life and her guilt about them (probably shades of the author's own life), including the horror of a child growing up in an alcoholic household. We then journey to mid-19th century Austria, to the home of Russian aristocrats, and enter Stefan's journey with all its passion and horror. A step into another world that is still quite absorbing, and the first Anne Rice book I've ever read. ( )
1 vote threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
bizarre but loved the settings (New Orleans & Rio) - was a gift - have never read any of her other works, although famous - have not seen any films based on her books either
  frahealee | Apr 3, 2016 |
Different from her others. I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me. Oddly enough, there was a truly happy ending for all including the ghost. That's a twist! Way too talky, but Rice does that sometimes. Different. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 23, 2014 |
Considering the level of all Anne Rice's books that I have already read, this one was a complete let down. Perhaps I was expecting something different, as sexy as the books from her vampires series. How upset I was when I found that this book actually tells the story of a woman in such a depression level that it get actually annoying. Amidst her sorrow, this woman meets the ghost of a violinist.

You hopefully suppose that the story is going to improve now that the woman met the subject of the book, but this is actually where the book gets awfully tedious. During the 400 pages of the book, the only thing that they do is argue and scream at each other. As you go through the story you get to the conclusion that, in spite of the bonds that tight them together in the story, whatever still keeps them together is not clear. It's not the violin. Seriously, it CAN'T be the violin because Triana barely played violin. Stephan's attitudes can be justified. Not Triana's.
As for the main character, she tells her weird, non-violin related, stupid story about her bizarre past.

The only part of the book that I effectively liked (and, in my opinion, should've been the core of the book since the first page) was Stephan's story, which could have been better explored but only lasted 10 or 20 pages. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
And the Angel of the lord declared unto Mary, and she conceived of the Holy Ghost.
For Annelle Blanchard, M.D. For Rosario Tafaro For Karen and as always and forever For Stan and Christopher and Michele Rice, John Preston, and Victoria Wilson and in tribute to the talent of Isaac Stern and Leila Josefowicz.
What I seek to do here perhaps cannot be done in words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679433023, Hardcover)

If neatness counts for you, don't count on Anne Rice's musical-ghost novel Violin. It is an eruption of the author's personal demons, as messy as the monster bursting from that poor fellow's chest in the movie Alien. Like Rice, the heroine Triana lives in New Orleans, mourns a dead young daughter and a drunken mother, and is subject to uncanny visions. A violin-virtuoso ghost named Stefan time-trips and globetrots with Triana, taunting her for her inability to play his Stradivarius--which echoes composer Salieri's jealousy in Amadeus and possibly Rice's jealousy of her successful poet husband Stan Rice in the years before her own florid, lurid writing made her famous. The storytelling here is too abstract, but the almost certainly autobiographical emotions could not be more visceral. At one point, the narrator exclaims, "Shame, blame, maim, pain, vain!" But Rice's dip in the acid bath of memory was not in vain--she packs the pain of a lifetime into 289 pages.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:49 -0400)

A woman from New Orleans steals a violin from a ghost and becomes the musician she always wanted, finding herself acclaimed on two continents. Part fantasy, part reality.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,356,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible