Poems by Currer, Ellis, and Acton Bell by…

Poems by Currer, Ellis, and Acton Bell (1846)

by Emily Bronte, Anne Bronte, Charlotte Bronte

I read this not because I like poetry, but because I’m a Brontë fan, especially of Anne. In short, I’m a Brontë completist, hence my decision to read these poems when I dislike 99 per cent of poetry no matter how good it’s revered in the eyes of the world.

I like the story behind the original publication of this collection, namely that the three sisters arranged to have it published off their own backs, but disappointingly for them it sold two copies.

The good thing that emerged from their failure was that it led to them writing and successfully publishing the novels that made them famous.

The version of “Poems” I read is the edition featuring extras written by Emily & Anne, plus notes and an introduction by Charlotte. Can’t remember the poems in question, but I know Charlotte saw fit to tweak a few of Anne’s lines, which I think is insulting to Anne.

Anyone who’s read a modern Brontë bio will know how Charlotte could be patronising and dismissive towards her “baby sister”, not to mention her having the audacity to prevent the masterpiece that is “The Tenant of Wildfell Hall” from being republished for many years.

Although my lack of interest in poetry makes me unfit to serve judgement on the poems within this collection, I rate Anne’s as the best of the bunch, Emily’s as average, and Charlotte’s as boring and confess to skipping most of hers. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Jul 1, 2016 |

Bronte, Emilyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bronte, Annemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bronte, Charlottemain authorall editionsconfirmed
"Poems by the Bronte Sisters" is the title of the reprint edition.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,727,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible