A Short History of Women by Kate Walbert

A Short History of Women

by Kate Walbert

A fictional "history" of women in one family, from the early British suffragist to the modern American college student. Although the issues the women grapple with through the generations ring true, because the "history" is short there is not space for depth or resolution. A fast read with interesting character sketches. ( )
  estelle.siener | Aug 25, 2019 |
A complicated tapestry tracking generations of women, each trying to discover themselves and what each believes worth fighting for. I really enjoy the story, but having listened to the audiobook there were moments when the changing narrators were hard to follow. I'd recommend reading rather than listening. ( )
  jscape2000 | May 21, 2017 |
I think this is brilliant even though I have to admit, I never really warmed to it. It has so many things I like - suffragettes, 1920s England, multiple narratives, overlapping voices. But after reading it twice, I stll feel like the point of it all alludes me.

I am not going to rate it because seriously, I think it's me, not the book. So y'all should read it.
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
Kate Walbert tells the story of five generations of women, starting in 1898 with Dorothy Townsend, a suffragette in Britain who starved herself to death for the cause, her orphaned daughter Evelyn, Evelyn's neice also named Dorothy, the second Dorothy's two daughters Caroline and Liz, and Caroline's daughter Dorothy "Dora." Written in the stream of conciousness style, the novel jumps around in time and character, not following any strict chronology. Writing it in stream of conciousness allowed me to more closely identify with the characters as it was telling the story from inside their heads. I really identified with them as women and their struggles, particularly those of the second Dorothy and her daughters. It was evocotive and emotional, really getting to the heart of what it is to be a woman and our feelings. I highly recommend this book to anyone, though I'm not sure that men would get as much from it. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
A good book. Parts of this book I thought were extremely accurate, a really good, understated exploration of what it is to be a woman in the world.

This book does have that problem that all books with multiples in characters have, which is that I always like one character's story more than others, so I hate to leave one chapter and start the next.

Another personal irritation that should not put anyone off from reading this book: maybe it's because I just read "The All of It", but I can't help noticing that Walbert uses the phrase "the all of it" or "the all of [insert item here]" many many many times. At some point I felt she was overusing it. ( )
  GraceZ | Sep 6, 2014 |
THis book is for Delia, and for Iris
Mum starved herself for suffrage, Grandmother claiming it was just like Mum to take a cause too far.

Inspired by a suffragist ancestor who starved herself to promote the integration of Cambridge University, Evie refuses to marry and Dorothy defies a ban on photographing the bodies of her dead Iraq War soldier sons, a choice that embarrasses Dorothy's daughters.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kate Walbert's book A Short History of Women was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,089,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible