Second Chance Pass

by Robyn Carr

Series: Virgin River (5)

6622035,469 (3.85)10
Fiction. Literature. Romance. HTML:Welcome back to Virgin River with the books that started it all...
The community of Virgin River saw Vanessa Rutledge through her darkest daysónow she's looking to a bright future.
In the space of a few months Vanessa buried her husband, Matt, and gave birth to their sonóbreaking her heart while filling it with a whole new kind of love. But the one man she longs to share this love with now acts as if she doesn't exist.
Paul Haggerty lives by the marine motto: Semper Fi. Ever faithful to his best friend, he's done right by Matt's widow as best he can...considering he's been secretly in love with her for years. Now, just as he's about to make his move, another woman has staked her claim on himóa claim that will be tough to escape.
With courage, humility and not a little meddling from the good folks of Virgin River, Vanni and Paul might just get a second chance to have the love they both desire and deserve.
Exclusive bonus content included!
Look for What We Find by Robyn Carr, a powerful story of healing, new beginnings and one woman's journey to finding the happiness she's long been missing. Order your copy today!.
… (more)

Second Chance Pass
2 Stars

After the events surrounding Vanni and Paul in the previous book, I was eager to read their story. Unfortunately, their romance does not live up to expectations.

To begin with, the writing style is problematic with too much telling and not enough showing. Much of the first half of the book is a summary of past events and poorly described plot points.

As for Paul and Vanni's characters, both leave much to be desired. Vannie changes from a loving and caring friend into a self-absorbed and ungrateful shrew while Paul becomes a weak-willed pushover. Neither of their actions put them in a positive light as Paul apparently impregnates another woman while pining for Vanni, and Vannie becomes involved with another man out of anger with Paul.

The story also includes several additional plot lines including updates on Jack and Mel, Paige and Preachers as well as two secondary romances. The first between Vanni's father and a former film star, and the second between Vanni's best friend and Paul's buddy. Both have potential, but lack sufficient development.

Overall, not one of the better additions to the series. Hoping Shelby's story will get Virgin River back on track.

Lauren2013 | May 5, 2023 |
Tot zover mijn favoriete boek van de serie! Zoveel liefde, maar ook spanning in dit boek. Het was alleen maar genieten! ( )
  Eline_Aerden | Jan 5, 2022 |
This story had a lot going on. Paul & Vanni had some communication issues and to be honest Vanni made me crazy with her attitude and not listening to Paul. But so many people in the story. Mike & Brie, Jack & Mell, Rick, Tom, Joe, Walt & a new connection for him. I like a story with a lot of characters especially when they are having new adventures. ( )
  CLDunn | Jan 28, 2021 |
Woo boy. This one really didn't work. The main couple (Vanni and Paul sucked) but Carr decides to force in romances for a friend of Paul and Vanni's and then we have too focus on Jack and Mel, and then we have Walter and a retired Hollywood actress, and I know I am blanking on someone else. We have appearances by Mike, Preacher, and Paige. I have no idea why Carr didn't focus on the main couple. And I have to say that some of the asides in this book about how Jack doesn't feed firefighters who are the "felon" squads ticked me off. Sure, these men are out there trying to keep your home from burning, but don't deserve free food. Carr ticked me off again when she has Mel pro home birth and doesn't talk about the dangers at having home births. We do have something happen, but it's like a blip and forgotten. This book went on way too long. Was so glad to be done with it.

"Second Chance Pass" has Paul Haggerty reeling from the fact he has fallen for his best friend's now widow, Vanessa Rutledge. He has been there and helped Vanessa as she's now trying to raise her baby son and is scared if he tells her how she feels, she will reject them. However, something from Paul's past may cause the couple more problems than anticipated. We also have Mel and Paige both pregnant and readying themselves for their births. The book jumps around to too many characters for you to get a sense for anyone. Vanessa started to annoy me and definitely bugged me after she got on Paul's friend Joe's back about him starting up a romance with a friend of hers who acted like a loon.

This was the first book when I started to get a bit turned off by Virgin River and it's characters. I felt that too many of them were so aggravating I couldn't imagine being around them for more than 5 minutes. Jack is in everyone's business and he and Mel are similar to a soap opera super couple.

There was no real tension in this one I thought. Just a lot of people being dumb about getting together with each other. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Yet another awesome Virgin River book. ( )
  mirihawk | May 21, 2020 |
This novel is dedicated to Valerie Gray,
my editor and friend. Your commitment
and support has made everything possible.
Your dedicated work has made everything better.
Your affection has made everything sweeter.
Paul Haggerty was finally back in Grants Pass after almost six months in Virgin River and there was an ache in his chest he just couldn't ease.

Exclusive bonus content included!

In the space of a few months Vanessa buried her husband, Matt, and gave birth to their son - breaking her heart while filling it with a whole new kind of love. But the one man she longs to share this love with now acts as if she doesn't exist. Paul Haggerty lives by the marine motto: Semper Fi. Ever faithful to his best friend, he's done right by Matt's widow as best he can... considering he's been secretly in love with her for years. Now, just as he's about to make his move, another woman has staked her claim on him - a claim that will be tough to escape. With courage, humility, and not a little meddling from the good folks of Virgin River, Vanni and Paul might just get a second chance to have the love they both desire and deserve.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,952,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible