The #1 wine book-now updated! The art of winemaking may be a time-honored tradition dating back thousands of years, but today, wine is trendier and hotter than ever. Now, wine experts and authors Ed McCarthy and Mary Ewing-Mulligan have revised their popular Wine For Dummies to deliver an updated, down-to-earth look at what's in, what's out, and what's new in wine. Wine enthusiasts and novices, raise your glasses! The #1 wine book has been updated! If you're a connoisseur, Wine For Dummies will get you up to speed on what's in and help you take your hobby to the next level. If you're new to the world of wine, it will clue you in on what you've been missing and show you how to get started. It begins with the basic types of wine, how wines are made, and more. Then it gets down to specifics, like navigating restaurant wine lists, deciphering wine labels, dislodging stubborn corks, and so much more. Includes updated information on wine regions throughout the world, including the changes that have taken place in Chile, Argentina, parts of Eastern Europe, the Mt. Etna region in Sicily, among other wine regions in Italy and California's Sonoma Coast Covers what's happening in the "Old World" of wine, including France, Italy, and Spain, and gets you up-to-speed on what's hot (and what's not) in the "New World" of Wine, including the U.S., Australia, and New Zealand Features updated vintage charts and price guidelines Covers wine bloggers and the use of smartphone apps Wine For Dummies is not just a great resource and reference, it's a good read. It's full-bodied, yet light...rich, yet crisp...robust, yet refreshing....… (more)

You generally know what you are getting with the "Dummies" series. No fancy illustrations or photographs (though 7 icons with various meanings: Real Deal, Remember, Worth the Search, Snob Alert, etc. I have always found these books well written by experts and unpretentious. While I may not like the look of the generic yellow covers, I appreciate the fact that the bland appearance and lack of high production values of these books keeps the price down. When I've looked to boost my knowledge on a computer program (Microsoft Access, Quickbooks) I was never averse to buying a Dummies book, whatever that implied about my subject matter knowledge, or lack thereof. But wine? Was I prepared to declare myself an ignoramus, on this particular subject no less, one that prides itself on a certain snobbish appeal. While yes! And I am glad I did. Certified Wine Educator Ed McCarthy and Master of Wine Mary Ewing-Milligan walk you through the comprehensive world of wine, introducing you to the basics but then quickly diving in deep on particular important wine producing countries and regions. When you've completed this book, which is a surprisingly quick read, not only will you have a lot of great tips on particular wines to try, you'll also be equipped with new knowledge of where to buy wine at a good price, how to cellar and age it properly, how best to handle ordering it in a store or restaurant, and a lot more. And best of all, these two authors, while clearly fonts of knowledge and lovers of wine, also realize at the end of the day this is just fermented grape juice. They want to educate, but at the end of the day they want you to relax and enjoy and not take it all too seriously. Exactly the same philosophy of the Dummies series. ( )
  OccassionalRead | Feb 4, 2017 |
Pretty good intro for those overwhelmed by the choices involved in picking a wine. Not too dumbed down. ( )
  datrappert | Oct 22, 2016 |
ine for Dummies is a great book for both the experienced and novice wine drinker. The Introduction goes through how the book is organized and which parts of the book should be read, depending on what the reader is interested in. Pretty much every aspect of wine is covered -grape varieties, how wine is made and regulated in various countries, how to read a wine label or restaurant wine list, and much more. The really technical information is labeled as such and can easily be skipped.

I liked that the tone of the book was very conversational and not at all pretentious. The authors actually have a sense of humor about wine and seemed to make an effort to make wine less intimidating for the reader. This will be a book that I refer to often and has me more interested in wine than ever. Before this book, I had a few brands that I stuck to but now I’m looking forward to trying new and different wines. I didn’t realize how many choices there are out there. That’s one hazard of reading this book – I was craving wine the whole time I was reading!
  mcelhra | Jul 23, 2013 |
Authors seem expert... We shouldn't be afraid to slum-read! I'm stuck in the first third, need to make it over the hump...
  leeinaustin | Mar 16, 2009 |
excellent introduction to wine: This is an excellent, well-written introduction to the world of wine.
  euang | Sep 1, 2008 |

Ed McCarthyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ewing-Mulligan, Marymain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,934,511 books! | Top bar: Always visible