Passion and Purity: Learning to Bring Your…

Passion and Purity: Learning to Bring Your Love Life Under Christ's… (1984)

by Elisabeth Elliot

non-fiction
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I am a Christian and I agree with the ideas brought forth in this book, and I also have really enjoyed Eliabeth Elliot's devotionals. However, I found the style in this book sometimes difficult to jump into. ( )
  elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |
This is the book that led me to choose my husband and choose a career in remote missions work. What more can I say?

Elliot has concisely, practically and gently laid out the truth which in this world falls short of glamorous. Still, she encourages, 'You can do it", "wait', and 'here's why it's worth it'.

The experience from which she speaks is at once compelling and gives her words authority to speak on such a subject. Though written decades ago, her advice is still relevant for singles and dating couples today.

For those interested in missions or ministry who are singles, I have to say it is a must read. Why? Because it matters who you choose to marry, for it may or may not break you on the mission field.

BrittneyRossie | Jun 14, 2015 |
Very few books on dating have stood the test of time like Passion and Purity. Its much-needed message remains strong and hopeful in an age when doing whatever "feels right" is common practice. Using her own life as an example, Elisabeth Elliot guides singles of both genders and of any age on how to put their love lives under the authority of Jesus Christ.
Passion and Purity covers dating issues such as:
•how to know which person is the right one to marry
•loving passionately while remaining sexually pure
•the man's and woman's role in relationships
•putting God's desires ahead of personal desires
•how far is too far, physically
  OCMCCP | Jan 21, 2013 |
My mom made me read this book when I started to complain to her that I thought I would be single for the rest of my life. I was only 17 at the time so there was no reason to worry but I'm really glad she made me read it then because it completely changed how I viewed love, marriage, and family. It's basically an autobiography that chronicles the love story of the author and her first husband Jim Elliot. It took me a while to make the connection between the Jim Elliot of Passion and Purity and the missionary that I had heard so much about. So if you're looking for a how-to guide you'll probably be a bit disappointed. I had no real expectations so the book didn't have to deliver anything but a good read and it's so much more than that. It's insightful, honest, engaging, and life-changing. ( )
  MonicaMusik | Oct 18, 2012 |
Der einzige Platz ausserhalb des Himmels, wo man absolut sicher ist vor allen Gefahren und Unruhen der Liebe, ist die Hölle.

C. S. Lewis
Einen grossartigen Ausblick bot das Fenster nicht gerade.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0800758188, Paperback)

Elisabeth Elliot's story centers around one pivotal question: "Does God want everything?" Her emphatic answer--"Yes"--is what makes Passion and Purity the foremost Christian book on dating ever written. Based on stories, journal entries, and letters chronicling her own five-year courtship with Jim Elliot, she gives frank advice, scriptural directives, and compassionate examples of what it means to follow Christ in the midst of heartache and impatience. The perfect antidote for those who flounder in the thinking that "the Bible doesn't say anything about dating," Elliot's short chapters are filled with nuggets of wisdom that spell out exactly the opposite. "Until the will and the affections are brought under the authority of Christ, we have not begun to understand, let alone accept His lordship. The Cross, as it enters the love live, will reveal the heart's truth." Whether in a dating relationship, married, or pursuing a call to single life, readers will find Elliot's message challenging them to a true faith in a Christ who lovingly calls us to surrender all. --Courtenay Kehn

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:29 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,686,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible