An Introduction to the New Testament (1992)

by D. A. Carson

An Introduction to the New Testament focuses on "special introduction" that is historical questions dealing with authorship, date, sources, purpose, destination, and so forth. This approach stands in contrast to recent texts that concentrate more on literary form, rhetorical criticism, and historical parallels--topics the authors don't minimize, but instead think are better given extended treatment in exegesis courses. By refocusing on the essentials, An Introduction to the New Testament ensures that the New Testament books will be accurately understood within historical settings. For each New Testament document, the authors also provide a substantial summary of that book's content, discuss the book's theological contribution to the overall canon, and give an account of current studies on that book, including recent literary and social-science approaches to interpretation. This second edition reflects significant revision and expansion from the original, making this highly acclaimed text even more valuable. * A new chapter provides a historical survey examining Bible study method through the ages. * The chapter on Paul has been expanded to include an analysis of debates on the "new perspective." * The discussion of New Testament epistles has been expanded to form a new chapter. This new edition will help a new generation of students better grasp the message of the New Testament.… (more)
    Holy Bible - Evangelical Heritage Version (EHV) by Wartburg Project (divinepeacelutheran)
    divinepeacelutheran: My go-to version of the Bible. No additions or deletions. Easy to read.

I liked that this book favours a more conservative approach to questions of authorship while providing reasons why other scholars disagree. Provides helpful background information on each of the New Testament books. ( )
  bookworm3091 | Jan 10, 2022 |
The discussion of covenantal nomism is outstanding.

Really, the only negative comment I have about the book is that too often for my comfort the authors make clear their own stand on a subject within the text, rather than relegating it to a footnote and confining the text to more objective material. I found the chapter on James particularly tiresome in that respect; but perhaps I was being too sensitive. ( )
  N7DR | Jun 29, 2021 |
I had listed this as one of my summer reads on my summer book review roundup. So, technically, I've been reading this one for years, a little at a time, and I just happened to finish it this summer. This book is an "introduction" to the books of the New Testament and I learned a lot about historical questions dealing with authorship, date, sources, purpose, destination, etc. The writers come from an orthodox evangelical background but do a good job of introducing the reader to many of the issues surrounding those historical questions. I read it slowly, a chapter at a time, in conjunction with other reading (including another survey as well as some doctrinal and historical stuff, actually reading the book of the Bible being discussed, and listening to some lectures and sermons. This was often the "introduction" piece to that work, but I must say this book worked very well for me in that manner.
  ckadams5 | Jun 19, 2019 |
  ckadams5 | Jun 19, 2019 |
An excellent resource for the seminary student or the Sunday School teacher who wants to know more information for papers or lessons. ( )
1 vote temsmail | Dec 15, 2006 |

D. A. Carsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Moo, Douglas J.main authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morris, Leonmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Chinese, traditional Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
This book is gratefully dedicated to Joy, Jenny, and Mildred
The primary focus of this book is on what used to be called "special introduction" - that is, on historical questions dealing with authorship, date, sources, purpose, destination, and the like.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,232,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible