Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen

Along for the Ride

by Sarah Dessen

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another great Dessen novel about family, growth and love
    The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen (f_ing_kangaroo, Anonymous user)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (wegc)
    wegc: Both are about a teen leaving home, trying to broaden their horizons, trying new things.

I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but this was so much more than what I expected. This was one of the best coming of age books I have ever read. I love the way Sarah Dessen writes. The story flows so well. There was never a lull or boring spot in the book. Can't wait to read my next one. ( )
  Sandralb | Sep 17, 2017 |
I previously tried to read this and I DNF it. I decided to give it another try, and I liked it more than I thought I would. It did take me awhile to get into the story and it was not my favorite Sarah Dessen book I have read, but I still enjoyed it.

I liked the romance between Auden and Eli. I also like that both characters are struggling with family issues, but it is not necessarily the romance that “makes them better.” Of course, it does a little, but it was not an extreme troupe like some others I have read.

I liked the friendships within the characters and how each helped each other out when needed. I also liked that this has a step-parent who is not an evil step parent. I like how the relationship with Auden and her step-mother grows and she gains a respect for her step mother.

Overall, this was a cute and fun summer read. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Sep 3, 2017 |

Along for the Ride was just what I needed in the middle of the most depressing season of the year. . . winter. There is something about snow and other crummy weather that makes me long for the days of a warm, lazy summer. For some reason every single time I think of Dessen, I think of summer so when I saw this book was available via my local library I knew this was just what I needed to fight the winter-time blues.

Auden is your typical overachiever. She reads and memorizes the textbooks before class, but isn't quite a knowitall. . .thank goodness. Her life has been all about academics since day one and her parents are to blame. Her mother is an English professor and her father a writer. They both seem to have quite a few undesirable traits and I'm honestly surprised Auden survived eighteen years without snapping. Just reading about these infuriating people made me so angry. Auden realizes thanks to her carefree brother that she needs to break free for once and do something out of the norm so she goes to stay with her father and stepmother in Colby, North Carolina.

At first she thinks this entire trip was a mistake. Her father is too busy for everyone and she thinks her stepmother is a shallow bimbo. Maybe not quite those words, but you know what I mean. She also does some serious judging of the locals and determines that they are not quite worth her time. Then the journey of self-discovery begins and it is one fantastic journey.

Along for the Ride was incredibly well-written. The characters were never one-dimensional. . .even those who play a minor role are presented in such a way that you can see various aspects of who they are. The pacing was absolutely perfect. I could see some complaining that nothing happened quickly enough, but this is contemporary fiction and self-discovery doesn't happen in a few hours. I think if you enjoy the development of characters more than anything else then you will likely really love this story.

Overall, I completely enjoyed my time in Colby. I made some great, albeit fictional, friends and will remember this experience for some time to come. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
Summary – This book is about an 18 year old girl who is preparing for college and trying to find herself. She has been immersed only in schoolwork and academics her whole life and for the summer between high school and college decides to visit her dad, stepmom, and newborn sister in a small beach town. Here she makes some great girlfriend relationships and falls for a boy she ends up having to fight for. In the end, she learns she can be both academic and social and she keeps her relationships into her first year of college.

Personal response – I though this book was well written and easy to read and relate to. All young adults have had to figure out who they truly are and/or want to be. The characters were very relatable and there were real life issues in this book that could speak to a number of different people.

Curricular connections – I would use this book as a choice book, allow students to pick it for a book study or maybe even working with the counselor in a life/social skills small group setting. This book could also be recommended to young women who are in need of a pick-me-up/find yourself read. ( )
  Lindsey33SMS | Jan 18, 2017 |
Her books are always good. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Until this wallflower blooms, the story feels a bit airless. But the satisfying ending will give many readers a lump in their throat.

Dessen reworks well-traveled terrain and creates a remarkably original story with realistic teen dialogue, authentic girl friendships and a complex underlying question: Can people really change?
added by khuggard | editKirkus

provides the interpersonal intricacies fans expect from a Dessen plot. Rounding out her latest offering with richly depicted female friendships, Dessen offers up a summertime tale of self-discovery.
added by khuggard | editHornbook

The cover may mislead readers, as despite the body language of the girl in pink and the hunky blue-jeaned boy balanced on a bike, this is no slight romance: there’s real substance here. Dessen’s many fans will not be deterred by the length or that cover; they expect nuanced, subtle writing, and they won’t be disappointed.
added by khuggard | editBooklist

For my mother, Cynthia Dessen, for helping me to learn almost everything I know about being a girl and my daughter, Sasha Clementine, who is teaching me the rest
The e-mails always began the same way.

It’s been so long since Auden slept at night. Ever since her parents’ divorce—or since the fighting started. Now she has the chance to spend a carefree summer with her dad and his new family in the charming beach town where they live.

A job in a clothes boutique introduces Auden to the world of girls: their talk, their friendship, their crushes. She missed out on all that, too busy being the perfect daughter to her demanding mother. Then she meets Eli, an intriguing loner and a fellow insomniac who becomes her guide to the nocturnal world of the town. Together they embark on parallel quests: for Auden, to experience the carefree teenage life she’s been denied; for Eli, to come to terms with the guilt he feels for the death of a friend.

In her signature pitch-perfect style, Sarah Dessen explores the hearts of two lonely people learning to connect.

When Auden impulsively goes to stay with her father, stepmother, and new baby sister the summer before she starts college, all the trauma of her parents' divorce is revived, even as she is making new friends and having new experiences such as learning to ride a bike and dating.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,495,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible