The Bat (1997)

by Jo Nesbø, Jo Nesbø

Series: Harry Hole (1)

Follows Harry Hole's efforts to solve the murder of a television celebrity whose demise is linked to a string of serial killings.

English (144)  Swedish (5)  Dutch (5)  German (4)  Spanish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (165)
Wenn man gerne die Harry Hole Serie komplett lesen (bzw. hören) möchte, kann man sich dieses Buch antun. Ansonsten muss man das aber nicht. Unausgewogene Geschichte und man erfährt mehr über den Australischen Kontinent und dessen Geschichte und Mythen als mir persönlich lieb war. Nichts gegen Australien und seine Mythen. Aber wenn schon, dann bitte weniger langatmig verpackt. Ich hab das Buch nur der Vollständigkeit halber beendet, hätte aber auch nichts verpasst, wenn ich eher aufgehört hätte. Wer mit diesem Buch die Serie beginnt und sich dann möglicherweise enttäuscht abwenden will: bleibt dran! Das zweite wird schon besser und ab dem dritten wird's richtig gut! MUSS man alle Bücher der Serie gelesen haben, um dranzubleiben? Nein, muss man nicht zwingend. Aber der Autor nimmt in den anderen Büchern zwischendurch immer mal wieder Bezug auf ältere Fälle und Charaktere. ( )
  Heidi64 | Jul 18, 2021 |
The first Harry Hole novel, but the second to last to be translated into English. Following his near brush with death, resulting from his drinking, Harry is sent to Australia to investigate the murder and rape of a Norwegian woman. Partnered with a local Aborigine, the book is at its best when delving into Australian cultural and social issues; however, I did not enjoy this as much as other Nesbo novels, either because Harry seemed to miss details he catches in later novels or perhaps because of the series finale. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this mystery. I found the setting and background of Australia interesting. I liked the main character despite his flaws. The mystery kept me guessing until I was supposed to figure it out. I will definitely continue the series. ( )
  Cora-R | May 28, 2021 |
3.5 stars

THE BAT is an intelligent story with every element of a crime fiction I love. Despite the first half being somewhat slow, I enjoyed the first Harry Hole novel. I had no expectations for the series and other than seeing it all over bookstagram, read nothing about it. Nesbø doesn't disappoint with dramatic plots and intriguing character development. By the end, I felt myself yearning resolution and for Harry to "clear up his head" (no spoilers) but it took me a bit to get there. I was a little bored by the ton of back story and Australian fables but found myself drawing connections I was happy to have.

I understand now why people love Nesbø and follow the series. I look forward to reading and seeing the Snowman so I have no doubts I'll be finishing the series, too! ( )
  booksforbrunch | May 5, 2021 |
Very much enjoyed the novel perspective of a Norwegian detective finding his feet in Australia. Will probably read the other Harry Hole book but not bowled over yet by Harry Hole. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jan 23, 2021 |

Nesbø, Joprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nesbø, Jomain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bartlett, DonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frauenlob, GüntherÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kampmann, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vroom, Annelies deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It rose into space, its wings spread wide, then fell, its wings now a fluttering cape wrapped tight about the body of a man. (Frank Miller).
Noe var galt.
Något var fel.
Something was wrong.

Harry is out of his depth.

Detective Harry Hole is meant to keep out of trouble. A young Norwegian girl taking a gap year in Sydney has been murdered, and Harry has been sent to Australia to assist in any way he can.

He's not supposed to get too involved.

When the team unearths a string of unsolved murders and disappearances, nothing will stop Harry from finding out the truth. The hunt for a serial killer is on, but the murderer will talk only to Harry.

He might just be the next victim.

Appearing in English for the first time, The Bat is the legendary first novel from the worldwide phenomenon Jo Nesbo.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,572,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible