Last Train to Istanbul by Ayse Kulin

Last Train to Istanbul (2002)

by Ayse Kulin

3761942,604 (3.54)20

English (17)  Dutch (2)  All languages (19)
This is a different WW II story because it is a fictionalized story of many Turkish and non-urkish Jews who escaped Hitler's grasp. It is based on real life experiences of Turkish ambassadors at the time who did their utmost of rescue people from the Reich machine. Interesting story with lots of character development and plot line. ( )
  readyreader | Aug 16, 2018 |
Took me awhile to sort out all the story lines, but the cultural and historical aspects kept me reading, and it really picked up steam. Fascinating story. ( )
  JoanellSerraauthor | Jun 21, 2018 |
I really like historical novels so I liked that aspect of this story.
What I didn’t like was what seemed to be “sappyness” relating to the relationship between the two sisters and their families.
All in all it wasn’t a bad read but I had expected better from the write ups so was disappointed.
I doubt I’d recommend it to anyone. ( )
  KarenHerndon | May 23, 2018 |
While I knew what would happen (Jews in WWII), I was surprised to learn about the connection they had with a Turkey, the Muslims & the Christians. It should be required reading to help fill in the huge blanks we, as Americans, have surrounding the Mid-East and their history/conflicts. ( )
  sraelling | Jan 31, 2017 |
Čitljiva knjiga teške teme. Period II. svjetskog rata prikazan iz turske perespektive. Poučno i zanimljivo. ( )
  Dinci | Aug 16, 2016 |
Information from the Turkish Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

Born into privilege to one of the last Ottoman pasas, beautiful, spirited Selva is the brightest jewel in her father's household - until she falls in love with Rafael Alfandari. Though Turkey has long been a safe haven for Jews, marriage between a high-ranking Muslim girl and a Jewish boy is strictly forbidden. Yet young love will not be denied, and Selva and Rafael defy their parents and marry, fleeing to Paris in hopes of a better life - only to find themselves trapped in the path of the invading Nazis. But in the midst of darkness shines a beacon of hope: a handful of courageous Turkish diplomats, protected only by the tenuous neutrality of their homeland, hatch a daring plot to spirit the exiled lovers and hundreds of innocent Jews to safety. Together, they will traverse a war-torn continent, crossing enemy lines and risking everything in one last, desperate bid for freedom.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,180,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible